One of my favorite side dishes/snacks – baked sweet potato fries with a little kick of chili powder!
Hey, long time, no talk. Let’s catch up. Current events – the Superbowl was yesterday. My site blew up with people making Buffalo Cauliflower. Have you tried it yet? During the Superbowl, it started snowing here. A lot. By this morning, we had 16″+. Our snow blower wouldn’t start and our shovel handle broke in half while my husband was shoveling. His rear wheel drive car didn’t stand a chance. God wanted us to have a snow day.
In life news, we have a house under contract (!!!!!) so I spend a lot of time rummaging up documents for the mortgage, quoting new insurance policies, and pinning tons of ideas to my grown up house board on Pinterest. There’s a very good chance that I’m going to have a kitchen with more than one drawer in the very near future. Say a lil’ prayer for us!
So, back to these sweet potato fries. I only recently realized I like sweet potatoes, but I’m pretty picky about how they’re prepared. I don’t like them on Thanksgiving covered in sticky marshmallows. I just like them slightly dolled up and baked, not fried. I make these often so I figured it was time I share them. Since our Superbowl plans got snowed out, I made these with a very simple slow cooker chicken that I plan to share later this week.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2.5 Tablespoons butter (I use salted)
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, line a baking sheet with tin foil, and set aside.
- Scrub your potatoes, peel them, and slice into thin strips.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add in the garlic, salt, chili powder, and pepper to the melted butter. Whisk together.
- Toss the sweet potatoes into the melted butter mixture then spread onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Spread them out so they're not overlapping, if possible.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, use a spatula to flip the fries, then bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with more salt (if you think they'll need it), let rest on the pan for five minutes, then serve.