The other day I couldn’t decide which I wanted more – a cookie or a brownie. Then I decided I wanted to take a stab at combining them. Brookies are not my original idea. Lots of people/bloggers have done them. But, I knew I wanted to try and I didn’t want to follow a recipe.
Winging it can be dangerous for me. I didn’t want a recipe fail when I needed this cookie/brownie combo in my life. My pregnancy cravings haven’t been very strong – or maybe they have but I kinda operate on cravings normally, so maybe they’re just not stronger than usual. I had high hopes for this combo and it didn’t fail me. The cookie and brownie stayed moist while being thick and dense. I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder so it’s a dark chocolate chocolate chip brownie topped with a chocolate chip cookie. I’ll bet it’s even better with ice cream on top…
Luckily it only makes an 8 x 8 pan because there’s a good chance I’ll be eating it by myself. I need to settle down. I’m seeing numbers on the scale that I never thought I’d see but I don’t even really care.
Also, see those straws ^^ I won a giveaway from PuppyCatCrafts and got a pack of cute colors. I feel pretty official as a food blogger now that I’ve included them in a picture. Expect to be seeing more of them.
- For the brownie portion
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips (Ghirardelli baking chips, per usual)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the chocolate chip cookie portion
- ¼ cup (4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips (again, Ghirardelli baking chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- First, make the brownie layer.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips. Mix it up (I use a spatula) so it is well combined.
- In a measuring cup, add in the oil then eggs, and vanilla. Mix up the wet ingredients with a fork.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with the spatula until just combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared 8 x 8 pan.
- Now, make the cookie portion.
- In a medium bowl, add the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix with a fork until fully combined.
- Add in the beaten egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips. Mix until combined, making sure all dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Use your hands to flatten pieces of the dough and lay on top of the brownie layer. Fit the pieces together, like a puzzle, until you have a fairly even layer covering the brownie batter.
- Bake for at least 30-35 minutes then check on it. You want the cookie layer to get golden brown, but not burn, while cooking all the way through. After 35 minutes I turned my oven down to 325 then let it bake another 10 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean (as long as you don't hit a chocolate chip!).
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes (more like 20 to be safe, or put it in the fridge to speed it along) before attempting to cut it into bars.