Simple Chocolate Chip Muffins that verge on cupcakes. Acceptable for breakfast but also perfect for dessert.
CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
The other night I decided to make a “Persnickety Plates” board on Pinterest and add some of my favorite recipes. This bad boy got 1,500+ repins/likes in a matter of hours. I was shocked. So, if you need an excellent and easy side dish, give these green beans a shot. The people have spoken and it’s a winner.
On to baked goods.
I modified this French Breakfast Muffin recipe by skipping the cinnamon & sugar coating and adding chocolate chips.
If you haven’t tried Ghirardelli baking chips yet, you really should. Nothing against Nestle (my other choice), but these are SO good. Sometimes I eat them straight out of the bag.
You probably have everything on hand to make these chocolate chip muffins (either the “French” ones or the chocolate chip). They are really good and I love that it only makes 12 muffins.
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (or so) of chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 375°. Spray the bottoms only of 12 standard-size muffin cups and set the pan aside.
- Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into a large mixing bowl and combine them with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg until it's frothy. Blend in the milk, melted butter (make sure its cooled so you don't scramble your egg), and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the batter just until it's evenly blended.
- Add the chocolate chips, then spoon it into the muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. I like to use a cookie scoop.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes. Then rotate the pan and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing.
Updated 11/3/13 with a few new pictures.