Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies are a simple, from-scratch, shortbread cookie dipped in dark chocolate that’s perfect for dunking in milk, coffee, hot chocolate…Santa won’t be disappointed!
<<Scroll down for a giveaway of everything you’ll need for holiday baking!>>
I get it stuck in my head that I like all chocolate everything (or chocolate + peanut butter), but every time I branch out, I’m pleasantly surprised. I just might be growing up.
I’ve spent years looking for the perfect sugar cookie recipe for rolling out and using cookie cutters only to be disappointed each time. Then, I realize I could use shortbread and be much happier.
This shortbread recipe only has five ingredients, rolls out easily, and holds its shape when you make cut-outs. The flavor is mild and buttery and perfect.
It gets even better when you dip a portion in dark chocolate and add some festive holiday sprinkles.
Tips to make these Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies a success –
- After you add the flour to the creamed butter, it’s going to take quite a few minutes for the dough to come together. Be patient, it will fully come together into a soft dough.
- Don’t forget to chill your dough before you roll it out. It will make it much easier to work with.
- You can roll out the dough into a rectangle and simply make 1″ bars, or roll it out and use your favorite cookie cutters. I had a snowman on hand so I did half and half – rectangles and snowmen.
- I use Ghirardelli baking chips because they’re my favorite for the chocolate. Use whatever chocolate chips or chocolate you have on hand and like. I add approximately 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate when melting it. It helps to slightly thin it and make the chocolate smooth.
Things you may need…
- A rolling pin. I’m in the market for a new one.
- Holiday cookie cutters. There are a wide variety in this set.
- Holiday sprinkles. I need to refill my collection.
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies are a simple, from-scratch, shortbread cookie dipped in dark chocolate that's perfect for dunking in milk, coffee, hot chocolate...Santa won't be disappointed!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Ghiradelli baking chips (or whatever chocolate chips/chopped chocolate you have on hand)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- Toppings of your choice (we used Christmas colored sprinkles)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until just combined, then mix in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt then add it to the butter mixture.
- Mix on low speed until ingredients start to form a solid dough. This will take quite a few minutes to come together.
- Once a dough has formed, take out of bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Shape into a flat disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough into approximately 1/2" thick rectangle.
- Use a sharp knife to cut dough into 1" wide rectangles or use cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Place cookies on prepared baking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are just brown.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, place chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to heat for 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Dunk half of each cookie into the chocolate and sprinkle with your favorite topping. Place on a piece of wax paper until completely cooled.
The amount of cookies this will make will depend on which size cookie cutters you're using.
Now. For the giveaway!
It’s day 5 of our 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway Event and we have another fun prize today – one lucky winner will receive a 10-piece Farberware Bakeware Set! This giveaway is sponsored by Farberware.
This Farberware Nonstick Bakeware is perfect for those that love to bake. These pans cook evenly and are easy to clean, too. Here are some facts about the prize:
- Set includes an array of essential baking pans for cakes, cookies, muffins, cupcakes, and more
- Solid steel bakeware construction resists warping and dinging for years of baking enjoyment
- Nonstick inside and out delivers easy food release with quick cleanup
- Chrome-plated cooling grid included
- Oven safe to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
Enter to Win a Farberware Bakeware Set
Official Rules and Conditions: One winner will be chosen to receive a Farberware Nonstick Bakeware 10-Piece Set with Cooling Rack. Open to US residents 18+ only. One (1) winner will be chosen. Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Juggling Act Mama not responsible for delivery of prize. To enter, use the widget below.