Copycat Mexican Pizza made with ground turkey and refried black beans!
Do you like Taco Bell? Personally, I’m not much of a fan. If anything, I usually get nachos & cheese (lame), but my husband loves it. I consider most fast food mystery meat (no offense. ha) so I try to avoid it but when you think about it, most of Taco Bell’s dishes are pretty easy to copycat at home. With real food.
Last night I wanted an easy dinner for the ground turkey I had set out and decided on these Mexican Pizzas. They would have been even easier but I decided, at the last minute, to make homemade salsa and cilantro lime rice to go with them.
You could use jarred salsa and skip the rice, but they make it even better. I like black beans but you can use regular refried beans if those are your favorite.
What’s your favorite thing to order at Taco Bell?
Copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza made with ground turkey and refried black beans!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons
- taco seasoning (or your favorite packet)
- can of refried black beans
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6-8 flour tortillas (I used carb smart "soft taco" size)
- sliced black olives
- diced tomatoes
- whatever other toppings you might like (green onions, maybe?)
- sour cream for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add in the olive oil then add the ground turkey. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon and sprinkle on the taco seasoning. Brown the meat until no longer pink and fully cooked.
- Lay out a tortilla on your prepared baking sheet, spread with some refried black beans, top with some cooked turkey. Place another tortilla on top and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the baking sheet and top the tortilla with salsa (your "sauce"), then sprinkle on cheese and toppings. Sprinkle on a bit more cheese over the toppings, for good measure, and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from oven and slice with a pizza cutter.
- Serve with sour cream and more salsa for dipping. And cilantro lime rice, if you're me.
Adapted from Table for Seven