My favorite potato salad filled with eggs, sweet pickles, and slaw dressing that gives it a unique twist. I’ve been making it for years & it’s always a hit!
MY FAVORITE POTATO SALAD
Guess what? I’m on my way to Mexico! But, I actually wrote up a few posts before I left so you’ll have something to read in my absence.
I love this potato salad. I make it for almost all of our BBQs and I made it this past Easter. I’m not a big fan of mayo so I like that this recipe uses mostly slaw dressing.
I also typically don’t like crunchy things in my otherwise soft food (i.e. celery and pickles), but I let it slide in this dish.
When you’re used to just making something, it’s tricky to keep track of everything you put in a dish and write it down. I think this is why I rarely post my own recipes. I make things all the time, it just takes more effort to track everything and (sometimes) I’m lazy.
Things you may need…
My very favorite potato salad that I've been making for years. Slaw dressing gives it a unique twist.
- 9 medium russet potatoes
- 2 celery heart stalks (or regular celery), diced
- 20 sweet petite gherkins (or 10 regular size), diced
- 5 hard boiled eggs, peeled & sliced
- 3/4 cup Marzetti slaw dressing
- 1/4 cup mayo (I used olive oil mayo)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Scrub your potatoes, peel them and chop them into approximately ½″ – 1″ cubes. Keep the pieces similar in size so they will cook at the same speed.
- Add potatoes to a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until potatoes are fork tender. You don’t want them hard, but you also don’t want them too soft. Otherwise they’ll fall apart and you’ll have mashed potato salad.
- In another pot, boil your eggs.
- My egg boiling trick (that I think came from Rachael Ray) – Add your eggs to a pot of salted water. Bring up to a boil then turn off heat and cover with a lid. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes in the water. After 10 minutes, drain and spray the eggs with cold water. You’ll have perfectly yellow yolks – no green!
- While the potatoes are boiling, chop up the celery. I like the celery to be really small. Size is really up to you.
- Also, chop up the pickles and use an egg slicer to slice up the cooled eggs.
- Combine the egg, pickles and celery into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Once potatoes have finished cooking, I drain them and stick them into the fridge so they’re easier to work with. If they’re too hot, they’ll fall apart while you’re combining the ingredients.
- Once cooled, add the potatoes to the egg/pickle/celery mixture and season with more salt and pepper.
- Add the slaw dressing and mayo and stir to fully combine making sure all the potatoes are coated and the egg/pickle/celery is pretty evenly distributed. Add more salt and pepper and/or mayo or slaw dressing, to taste.
- Let it hang out in the fridge for a little while then serve.
Other salads you may like…
Arabic Potato Salad (my OTHER favorite)