Simple Olive Penguins made with black olives, mozzarella balls, and carrots, are adorable and make a fun appetizer!
Black Olive Penguins
These aren’t turkeys, but they came to Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone felt guilty eating them because they were so cute. Too bad there weren’t any kids at our dinner, I feel like kids would love them.
I also feel like I am meant to have kids just to make cute things/crafts with them.
I need to borrow some kids.
[Edit May 2016 – now I’ve got my own toddler to make edible art with!]
I’ve seen some “Pinterest fails” of little guys similar to these, but I promise they’re simple. Give them a shot & let me know how it goes!
- Large black olives (for body)
- Small black olives (for head)
- Baby carrots
- Mozzarella balls
- I got everything ready then made a penguin assembly line.
- Cut each mozzarella ball into about 4 pieces.
- Chop baby carrots into thin disks, then cut out a tiny triangle to make feet. Use the cut out triangle to make the beak.
- Slice a large olive & slide in a piece of cheese.
- Stack the large olive onto the carrot, then a small olive sideways onto the body. Hold them straight and secure with a toothpick. Insert the carrot/beak.
- Repeat as many times as you want/need. Enjoy!
Things you may need…
A decent knife (or 4)