Super simple blender salsa recipe that tastes just like On the Border’s!
I love salsa. Usually I pick Herdez, but for NYE I decided I wanted to make some from scratch. I did a quick Google search and came up with this recipe. I made the mistake of picking up diced tomatoes with sweet onions so my batch came out a bit sweeter and lacked the full heat of On The Border‘s, but it was really good. REALLY good. Like, I see myself making it often.
Update 1/14/13 – I made it again, this time without the sweet onion tomatoes, & it does taste very close to On the Border’s. The amount of heat was perfect. I’m kinda in love with this salsa.
It makes a ton so we were able to use it for a few days. Both for chip dipping and in recipes. I spread some cream cheese on soft taco shells, rolled them up & dipped them. Simple. I made vegetarian burrito bowls (with brown rice & zucchini) that this was awesome in. You could even pair it with the Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe I made awhile back.
Super simple blender salsa recipe that tastes just like On the Border's!
- 2 large roma tomatoes, chopped
- (2) 14.5 oz cans of plain diced tomatoes
- 2 jalapeños seeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt (more or less, your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (I used red pepper flakes & added more at the end, so probably a full teaspoon for us)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place all ingredients into a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until all the ingredients are well mixed and salsa has a consistent texture. I “chopped” a few times then “blended”.
- At this point I tasted it & added a little more salt & some more red pepper flakes. Totally up to you & the heat level you want.
- The longer you let it sit in the fridge, the more the flavors come together, so try to resist for a little bit.
Some links on my blog are affiliate links meaning if you buy from them, Amazon will throw me a few pennies (literally, pennies), at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.