Adorable sugar cookies decorated like reindeer & Christmas lights are fun for adults & kids!
It’s Christmas cookie time! How cute are these? I saw these reindeer on Pinterest but every time I clicked a link, it went back to nowhere. I hate that. Then when I was at Target I saw the sugar Christmas lights and had to have them.I asked on Facebook and Twitter for your favorite sugar cookie recipe and decided to go with Dorothy’s suggestion of a Land O Lakes recipe. Once I googled, I saw that there’s a few but I picked the “Best Ever Butter Cookies“. They were good, but not the best ever, in my opinion. It’s quite possible I floured them too much when rolling them out. I’m still searching so if you have a favorite, please share it with me!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- For decorating
- Ghirardelli baking chips, melted
- mini red M&M's for the noses
- frosting to "glue" the noses to the cookies (I used the kind in the squirt can, something
- like this)
- Sugar lights (I found them at Target)
- Combine 1 cup softened butter, sugar and egg in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add orange juice and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Add flour and baking powder; beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each third into a ball; flatten slightly. Wrap each in plastic food wrap; refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until firm. (I prepped mine the night before)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out dough, one-third at a time, on lightly floured surface (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to ⅛- to ¼-inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets (I used a Silpat - my new best friend).
- Bake 6-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- To decorate
- - I melted the chocolate in the microwave (30 seconds, stir, 30 seconds stir) then put in a ziplock bag. I snipped the tip (tiny cut) and "piped" the chocolate for the antlers, eyes and light cord.
- Dot a small dot of frosting for the nose and attach the M&M.
Things you may need:
Frosting in a can (makes decorating easier)
My favorite cookie sheets, I’ve had them for years
Silicone baking mats (make life easier)