Not only do I have a healthy and delicious recipe for Slow Cooker Cheese Stuffed Turkey Meatballs with Zoodles to share with you today, but I also have a giveaway for a Blendtec Blender!
Happy New Year! Can I still say that? Is it too late? I can’t believe this is the first time I’ve posted this year but things have been a little wonky around here lately. I purposely took the first week of the year “off” but for the last week or so, my blog has been up and down. I’ve never had any problems with my host up until now but let me tell you, it sucks. Most of these technical things are above my head and I just like things to work. Hopefully it’s straightened out now.
So, these meatballs. Bob actually came up with the recipe. He first made them a couple months ago and we all loved them so I had him help me recreate them so I could save and share the recipe. We prepped them then I went to work and he happened to have a rare day off, while they cooked in the slow cooker. Notice how there are 17 meatballs in the pic below.
Well, when I got home and started making the zoodles, I noticed that there were noticeably less meatballs in the slow cooker than when I had left. Like half were gone. Does he not know I’m a food blogger & need to take pictures of our food before we eat it?! I could have punched him. Then I remembered that he helped me come up with the recipe so I had to be nice and I still had plenty to photograph.
But yea, they’re that good. So good that you’ll risk the wrath of your wife by eating half of them throughout the day.
If you’ve never made zoodles, don’t be intimidated. They’re a great way to replace carbs and you won’t miss the pasta. I used a Veggetti but I also have a simple slicer that works well (takes up less room but basically the same price), or you can get fancy and get a spiralizer.
- For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 /2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs I used Italian seasoned
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 mozzarella cheese sticks cut stick cut into 5 pieces - about 1" each
- 24-32 oz. pasta sauce
- For the zoodles
- 2 zucchini sliced I use a Veggetti to make the "pasta"
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil
- To make the meatballs
- In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, beaten eggs, chopped onion, Parmesan, panko, Lawry's, and pepper and mix well. I used a spatula but it may be faster to use your hands.
- Pour approximately half of the sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker pot.
- Use your hands to scoop the meat mixture into golf ball size balls. Slightly flatten with the palms of your hands, tuck in a piece of cheese, then form the meat into a ball. Place into the sauce. Repeat until all the meat is used up - this batch made 17 meatballs for us.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Right before you're ready to serve, you can sprinkle on some shredded cheese, replace the cover, and let it melt.
- To make the zoodles
- Use a Veggetti (or slicer or spiralizer) to make zucchini "noodles". Place them into a bowl that's lined with pepper towel. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for about 30 minutes to lose some moisture.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat and add some olive oil to the pan. Add in the zoodles and garlic and season with salt & pepper. Saute until tender.
This recipe first appeared on Love Bakes Good Cakes
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Be sure to follow the #EatHealthy16 hashtag on social media for healthy eating inspiration. Brianne of Cupcakes & Kale Chips will have healthy snacks, Jamie of Love Bakes Good Cakes will have healthy meals, and Jenny of The Melrose Family will have healthy desserts. Keep those resolutions!