One pot and 30 minutes are all you need for this Southwest Chicken Skillet! Big flavor without a lot of effort.
SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SKILLET
When I say this is a 30 minute meal, I’m not lying. Maybe 35 minutes, depending on how long it takes you to cut up your chicken, but the majority of the cook time you’re just waiting for the rice to cook.
Not only is it quick, it really is one of my favorite meals. I love the flavors and how they come together. It warms up beautifully and is great for a quick weeknight meal.
Ways to customize your Southwest Chicken Skillet…
- Add in a can of rinsed black beans at the same time as you add the rice to add more protein. Or, skip the chicken altogether and use black beans instead.
- Stir in some corn at the end (either frozen or canned) before you top with shredded cheese.
- Once done, top with sour cream, green onions, or more shredded cheese.
- Sensitive to spice? Either opt for “mild” Rotel or just use diced tomatoes instead.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders cut into small pieces
- salt pepper, Montreal chicken seasoning, red pepper flakes – whatever you like to season your chicken with
- 1 Tablespoon or so olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 10 oz can RoTel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- handful of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream for topping
- Cut your chicken into small (about 1″ pieces) and season with salt, pepper, Montreal chicken seasoning, and red pepper flakes (or whichever seasoning you prefer).
- Head a large skillet over medium high heat and coat with a turn of the pan of olive oil.
- Once hot, add in the seasoned chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in the uncooked rice, can of RoTel, can of tomato sauce, and water. Bring to a boil then cover.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. I like to stir mine about half way through to make sure none of the rice is sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- Once the rice is done, stir the mixture and top with a handful of shredded cheese. Turn off heat and cover for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and serve.
Adapted from 20 Paws 4 Feet
Other skillet meals maybe you’ll like…
Chicken Spinach & Orzo Skillet