Chocolate Snack Cake, sometimes called “Wacky Cake”, is a simple, dairy-free, cake made from scratch that is perfect for the kids to help with! This rich dessert is made from pantry staples and makes a small cake perfect for those chocolate cravings.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Whipping this chocolate snack cake up is a breeze – all you need is one bowl & a spoon!
It makes the perfect small size, when you’re wanting a sweet snack, but don’t need want to make a full size cake.
This vintage recipe originated in the Depression-era when dairy products were scarce.
I promised myself I wouldn’t neglect Persnickety Plates after Baby #2 arrived, which was silly, because I kinda knew it wasn’t a promise I could keep. Rosie is 7 weeks old already and I’m just now introducing her to you.
Despite being busier than ever, I haven’t lost the urge to bake. I’ll be doing three other things and thinking about whipping something up. That’s how this cake came about.
- Flour – I use all-purpose white flour.
- Brown Sugar – Using brown sugar instead of white sugar makes the cake extra moist.
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder. You can even use dark chocolate cocoa powder, if you like.
- Baking Soda – For rise.
- Salt – For balance.
- Vegetable Oil – I’ve also tested this cake using applesauce, either will work, but I prefer the fluffiness the oil gives.
- Vinegar – White vinegar reacts with the baking soda to give rise.
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips – Optional, but a good idea.
- Powdered Sugar – Again, optional, but it adds a nice touch & sweetness to to the top.
Luckily, this cake is really simple to make – you just need one bowl and a spoon, which means Julia was able to help and it was done while Rosie was napping.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE SNACK CAKE
Making this cake is so easy!
STEP ONE: To a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
STEP TWO: Add in the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
STEP THREE: Stir in chocolate chips.
STEP FOUR: Pour the batter into an 8×8 baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let it cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar & serve!
TIPS & TRICKS
- You can swap out the oil for applesauce, if you want. I tried it both ways. It makes for a denser cake that has really good flavor. I preferred the texture of the vegetable oil version – it’s a bit fluffier.
- The powdered sugar on top adds just the right amount of sweetness.
- Serve this cake under some vanilla ice cream for a real treat!
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- My favorite mixing bowls – love the grippy bottoms
- 8 x 8 baking dish – having the lid is so convenient
- Powdered sugar dusting wand – totally useful and totally cute
NEED MORE CHOCOLATE IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
- 7Up Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Brownies
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Chocolate Snack Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and set out an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to combine.
- Add in the wet ingredients and again stir to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the 8 x 8 baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Originally published July 17, 2017
Now, onto my girl.
She has stolen all of our hearts and despite her small start, she’s turning into quite the chunk. The squishier the better in my eyes.
I had so much fun designing our birth announcements with Minted so I thought I’d share them with you!
They have so many pretty options. I opted for one of their new foil pressed announcements and it adds such a nice touch. We’ve gotten tons of compliments on them.
I can’t wait to design our first “family of four” Christmas card =)
Thank you to Minted for providing me a credit to make our announcements!