This easy instant pot hummus starts with dry chickpeas but no soaking is required when you make it in the instant pot! This homemade hummus will be ready for snacking in no time.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
As good as hummus is, store-bought just doesn’t cut it in my book. There is nothing better than a tried and true homemade batch. Trust me – if you’ve never made it yourself, this will change your world.
The best part of this recipe is how EASY it is. You don’t have to soak the garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) since it’s made in an instant pot. There’s only 10 minutes of prep required, so you can make it before a party while doing other things.
WHAT IS HUMMUS?
If you don’t know, you’ve been missing out! You’ll find lots of variations in grocery stores nowadays (chocolate hummus anyone? Nope? Hard pass for me) but the basics are that it’s a dip including garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, and salt.
Many use it as a dip with crackers and veggies, but it can also be used on toast, sandwiches, as a salad dressing, or even to make deviled eggs. This simple recipe is very versatile!
- Garbanzo beans – Dried garbanzo beans/chickpeas.
- Water – needed to cook the garbanzo beans and to thin the hummus.
- Garlic – you’ll need them all peeled and to mince a couple cloves.
- Lemon juice – perfect consistency, acidity, and flavor for this recipe. Please use fresh and not bottled.
- Tahini paste – Tahini is ground sesame seeds. You can usually find it in the condiment aisle or an ethnic food aisle, depending on your market.
- Olive oil – You’ll want a very fine extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt – Absolutely necessary for flavor.
- Cumin – An essential hummus flavor, cumin adds a touch of spice and richness.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- Pressure cooker – if you don’t have an instant pot yet, make sure you grab one and change your life!
- Blender – this blender works so well! You can also purchase the food processor attachment if you wanted.
- Spatulas – everyone needs a great heat resistant spatula and these are great. Perfect for stirring and mixing ingredients in the kitchen!
HOW TO MAKE HUMMUS IN THE INSTANT POT
STEP ONE: Pour the beans, water, and two garlic cloves into the instant pot; cover and seal vent. Set to high pressure for 40 minutes.
STEP TWO: Once they’re done cooking, allow the pressure to naturally release for 30 minutes as the beans continue to cook.
STEP THREE: After the pressure is done releasing, open the instant pot and reserve 1 cup of liquid for later. Remove the cooked beans and garlic and strain off the excess water.
STEP FOUR: Add the tahini paste, two more cloves of garlic, and lemon juice to a blender or food processor; puree until completely smooth.
STEP FIVE: Add half the beans, 1 tablespoon of the reserved liquid, and half the olive oil; blend until smooth.
STEP SIX: Add the salt, cumin, remaining beans, and remaining oil; blend until smooth.
STEP SEVEN: Taste the hummus and adjust seasonings as needed. If it’s too thick, continue adding more liquid until you’ve reached your desired consistency. It will slightly thicken as it sets so keep that in mind.
STEP EIGHT: Pour into a serving bowl and top with olive oil and smoked paprika, if desired.
DO I NEED TO SOAK THE GARBANZO BEANS?
Nope! If you prefer to soak them (or you already have them soaked for whatever reason), reduce your cooking time down to 30 minutes.
WHAT SHOULD I ADD TO HUMMUS TO MAKE IT TASTE BETTER?
One way is to increase the amount of garlic you’re using! If you enjoy a garlic flavor profile, you can add up to 10, depending on your preference.
Another thing you can try is making sure you use a very high-quality extra virgin olive oil as it adds a lot of flavor to your homemade hummus.
You can also add some hummus toppings such as roasted red peppers, caramelized onions, pesto, or feta cheese.
HOW LONG IS HUMMUS GOOD FOR?
Hummus will last 7 days, stored covered in the fridge. Avoid leaving it out for more than 2-4 hours at a time as it can turn sour.
NEED MORE DIP RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: