Perfectly spooky layered Halloween Jello Shots are made with vodka and will be a huge hit at your next Halloween party. Orange and purple jello are layered together then topped with whipped cream, Halloween sprinkles, and chocolate spider webs. Simple to make and fun to enjoy!
Halloween Jello Shots
The colorful layers topped with whipped cream and fun Halloween sprinkles have a magical effect, even to those of us who don’t love jello (shh 🤫). They’re the perfect boozy Halloween treat.
To take it a step further, melt some chocolate and make “webs” to add as garnish with some mini plastic spiders. So cute & perfect for a spooky theme.
Why you’ll love these simple Halloween Jello Shots
Easy to make – You have to allow a bit of time for them to set up, but the actual process of making them is simple.
For adults & kids – Perfect addition to an adult Halloween party but you can also leave out the vodka and they’re fun for kids, too!
Equipment you’ll need
- Disposable Cups – 1 oz or 2 oz plastic cups with lids are easiest.
- Baking Sheet – Either a lipped baking sheet or a tray will be helpful for moving the shots in and out of the fridge while the layers are setting.
- Measuring Cup – I like to use a large measuring cup with a spout to whisk up the jello mixture.
- Small Saucepan – To boil the water.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
ORANGE JELL-O – One box of orange flavored jello.
PURPLE JELL-O – One box of grape flavored jello.
WATER – You’ll need both boiling water and cold water to make the jello mixture.
VODKA – A cup of vodka will be used. Vodka comes in MANY flavors – plain works well to not compete with the flavor of the jello, but pick your favorite.
TOPPINGS – Whipped cream, chocolate chips (for webs), and Halloween sprinkles. Optional, but they add a little extra sweetness and look cute.
How to make fun Halloween Jello Shots
- STEP ONE: Make the purple layer. In a large measuring cup (or mixing bowl with a spout), add 1 cup of boiling water and the grape jello. Whisk until dissolved and then add in 1/2 cup vodka and 1/2 cup cold water and whisk again. Pour evenly into small plastic shot glasses (1 oz shown), that have been set onto a tray or lipped baking sheet, filling approximately 1/4 to 1/2 way up. Place the entire tray into the fridge for approximately 30 minutes or until purple layer is firm.
- STEP TWO: Make the orange layer. In a large measuring cup (or mixing bowl with spout), add 1 cup of boiling water and the orange jello and whisk until dissolved. Add in 1/2 cup vodka and 1/2 cup cold water and whisk again. Let the mixture cool slightly and then pour the rest of the way on top of the set purple layer. Place the tray back into the fridge for approximately 2 hours to fully set.
- STEP THREE: Garnish and serve. Once fully set, garnish & serve!
How to make the chocolate cobwebs 🕸
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt some chocolate chips.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a small plastic baggie and snip just the tip off.
- Pipe webs onto the parchment paper and allow to harden (chilling in the fridge will speed up the process).
How to store them
You will want to store these easy jello shots in the fridge. If they get too warm, they can melt.
How long will jello shots last in the fridge?
5-7 days. Don’t garnish until you’re ready to serve them.
Can I freeze jello shots?
Nope. As they become frozen it will affect the texture of the jello dramatically so it will become a gooey texture.
Can jello shots be made ahead of time?
You can definitely make them ahead of time but they’re best enjoyed within 3-5 days so don’t make them too far in advance.
What is the best liquor to use for jello shots?
Vodka. Vodka is the most neutral but gin, whiskey, and tequila could also be used.
Can you get drunk off jello shots?
Jello shots are not like a standard alcoholic shot – they have far less alcohol content so don’t expect them to get you drunk, but you should still enjoy responsibly.
Do they make black jello?
Black screams Halloween but they don’t make a black jello. If you want to make black for a layer of these, try mixing two packets of grape with one packet of lime for a very dark purple that will look black. Either that, or use black food coloring.
Can I double the recipe?
Sure can. Just double (or triple) the original version of the recipe and it will work great.
Tips & Suggestions 🎃
- Allow plenty of time for the layers to fully set.
- Make a big batch so you don’t run out – this recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled.
- Use plastic cups with lids so you can easily store and transport them.
- If you’re not into orange and purple, you could try different colors for the different layers (like green jello or use unflavored gelatin and sweetened condensed milk to make a white layer like in my american flag shots). You can even use black food dye if you want a black layer.
More Halloween Jello Shot Recipes
More Jello Shot Ideas
🎃 Need more Halloween recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of Halloween recipes.