Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies are a simple, from-scratch, shortbread cookie dipped in dark chocolate that’s perfect for dunking in milk, coffee, hot chocolate…Santa won’t be disappointed with these shortbread Christmas cookies!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I didn’t realize how much I like shortbread until I realized I’ve shared quite a few shortbread recipes (see Chocolate Shortbread Cookies, Dark Chocolate Stars, Millionaire Shortbread Bars, and Salted Chocolate Caramel Bars).
CHOCOLATE DIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES
I love making shortbread because it’s easy to make, easy to roll out, and they keep their shape nicely when you cut them out.
This chocolate dipped shortbread cookie recipe only has 5 ingredients – 7 if you include the chocolate & sprinkles – and is so easy. It’s light and buttery and the perfect contrast with the dark chocolate.
CHOCOLATE DIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES INGREDIENTS
- Sugar – granulated white sugar.
- Butter – unsalted, at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract – it’s pricey, but use real vanilla extract (not imitation), if you can.
- Flour – all purpose white flour.
- Chocolate – I use Ghirardelli baking chips.
- Coconut Oil – to thin the chocolate.
- Sprinkles – optional, but fun.
I’ve spent years looking for the perfect sugar cookie recipe for rolling out and using cookie cutters only to be disappointed each time. Then, I realize I could use shortbread and be much happier.
This shortbread recipe only has five ingredients, rolls out easily, and holds its shape when you make cut-outs. The flavor is mild and buttery and perfect.
It gets even better when you dip a portion in dark chocolate and add some festive holiday sprinkles, much like my chocolate dipped butter cookies.
Tips to make these Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies a success:
- After you add the flour to the creamed butter, it’s going to take quite a few minutes for the dough to come together. Be patient, it will fully come together into a soft dough.
- Don’t forget to chill your dough before you roll it out. It will make it much easier to work with.
- You can roll out the dough into a rectangle and simply make 1″ bars, or roll it out and use your favorite cookie cutters. I had a snowman on hand so I did half and half – rectangles and snowmen.
- I use Ghirardelli baking chips because they’re my favorite for the chocolate. Use whatever chocolate chips or chocolate you have on hand and like. I add approximately 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate when melting it. It helps to slightly thin it and make the chocolate smooth.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE THESE COOKIES, FOUND ON AMAZON:
- A rolling pin. I’m in the market for a new one.
- Holiday cookie cutters. There are a wide variety in this set.
- Holiday sprinkles. I need to refill my collection.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: