Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies are a simple, from-scratch, shortbread cookie dipped in dark chocolate that’s perfect for dunking in milk, coffee, hot chocolate…Santa won’t be disappointed with these shortbread Christmas cookies!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
CHOCOLATE DIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES
I love making shortbread because it’s easy to make, easy to roll out, and they keep their shape nicely when you cut them out.
This chocolate dipped shortbread cookie recipe only has 5 ingredients – 7 if you include the chocolate & sprinkles – and is so easy. It’s light and buttery and the perfect contrast with the dark chocolate.
CHOCOLATE DIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES INGREDIENTS
- Sugar – granulated white sugar.
- Butter – unsalted, at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract – it’s pricey, but use real vanilla extract (not imitation), if you can.
- Flour – all purpose white flour.
- Chocolate – I use Ghirardelli baking chips.
- Coconut Oil – to thin the chocolate.
- Sprinkles – optional, but fun.
I’ve spent years looking for the perfect sugar cookie recipe for rolling out and using cookie cutters only to be disappointed each time. Then, I realize I could use shortbread and be much happier.
This shortbread recipe only has five ingredients, rolls out easily, and holds its shape when you make cut-outs. The flavor is mild and buttery and perfect.
It gets even better when you dip a portion in dark chocolate and add some festive holiday sprinkles.
Tips to make these Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies a success:
- After you add the flour to the creamed butter, it’s going to take quite a few minutes for the dough to come together. Be patient, it will fully come together into a soft dough.
- Don’t forget to chill your dough before you roll it out. It will make it much easier to work with.
- You can roll out the dough into a rectangle and simply make 1″ bars, or roll it out and use your favorite cookie cutters. I had a snowman on hand so I did half and half – rectangles and snowmen.
- I use Ghirardelli baking chips because they’re my favorite for the chocolate. Use whatever chocolate chips or chocolate you have on hand and like. I add approximately 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate when melting it. It helps to slightly thin it and make the chocolate smooth.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE THESE COOKIES, FOUND ON AMAZON:
- A rolling pin. I’m in the market for a new one.
- Holiday cookie cutters. There are a wide variety in this set.
- Holiday sprinkles. I need to refill my collection.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until just combined, then mix in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt then add it to the butter mixture.
- Mix on low speed until ingredients start to form a solid dough. This will take quite a few minutes to come together.
- Once a dough has formed, take out of bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Shape into a flat disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough into approximately 1/2" thick rectangle.
- Use a sharp knife to cut dough into 1" wide rectangles or use cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Place cookies on prepared baking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are just brown.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, place chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to heat for 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Dunk half of each cookie into the chocolate and sprinkle with your favorite topping. Place on a piece of wax paper until completely cooled.