Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies are a simple cookie that’s perfect for dunking in milk, coffee, hot chocolate…Santa won’t be disappointed.
It’s almost Christmas! I spent my Saturday baking cookies with my mom. Though I love baking, she does not. She tries to, but it’s just not her cup of tea. So, while I made these very cute shortbread cookies, she made some equally cute sugar cookies. Out of a box :/ Oh well, they were good.
CHOCOLATE DIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES
I don’t know what I was thinking when I cut my cookies. I got carried away and they ended up pretty enormous, but all the better to dunk into your coffee or milk. It still made about 25 cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 sticks (3/4 pound) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Ghiradelli baking chips (or whatever chocolate chips/chopped chocolate you have on hand)
- Toppings of your choice (we used Christmas colored sprinkles)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until just combined, then mix in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt then add it to the butter mixture.
- Mix on low speed until ingredients start to form a solid dough. Take out of bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Shape into a flat disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 1/2" thick log.
- Use a sharp knife to cut dough into 1" wide rectangles.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are just brown.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Stir and continue to heat for another 30-45 seconds until just melted.
- Dunk half of each cookie into the chocolate and sprinkle with your favorite topping. Place on a piece of wax paper until completely cooled.