Slow Cooker Hot Honey Chicken Sandwiches are an easy, spicy dinner idea made right in the crock pot. Pulled chicken cooked in a hot honey sauce and then piled onto your favorite bun. The perfect slow cooker meal for any time of year!
Crockpot Hot Honey Chicken Sandwiches
I’m always on the lookout for a new chicken recipe to make in the slow cooker. They’re easy, delicious, and the whole family generally likes them.
You can easily adjust the amount of heat to suit your family. I still have little kids who think even black pepper is spicy so we save this one for the adults, but if your kids are a bit more adventurous, you’ll be just fine.
The tangy sauce is the perfect mix of spicy and sweet. I like to load up a brioche bun (my favorite) with the cooked chicken, some pickles, and serve with a side of french fries and some fresh fruit.
It is the perfect meal for a BBQ or summer get-together.
Why you’ll love this hot honey chicken
- Quick and easy – This one only takes 5 minutes of prep and can be done in as soon as 2 hours.
- Some like it hot – If you’re into spice, you’re going to like this one, but it’s easy to adjust to your family’s liking.
- Great for a crowd – Because you’re piling the shredded chicken onto sandwiches, it is great to feed a crowd. You can easily feed 6-8 with this recipe.
Equipment you’ll need
- Slow Cooker – this is my slow cooker of choice, you’ll need at least a 6 quart for this recipe.
- Meat Claws – you can use forks to shred the chicken or get fancy with these claws.
- Tongs – I always like using tongs to handle meat.
Ingredients for Hot Honey Chicken
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- CHICKEN – I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts but you can use thighs if that’s what you like.
- CAYENNE PEPPER – Start with 1 tablespoon and build up if your family likes more heat.
- SMOKED PAPRIKA – Smoked paprika adds a rich, smoky flavor.
- GARLIC SALT – Garlic salt is just that – a mixture of 3 parts salt to 1 part garlic powder.
- BROWN SUGAR – Brown sugar helps to balance the heat with some sweetness. You can use light or dark.
- HONEY – More sweet to balance the heat. A local honey is always best but use what you have.
- VINEGAR – You can use either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- BUTTER – I like to use salted butter but unsalted works as well. It will add moisture to the chicken and sauce.
- BUNS – Choose your favorite buns for piling the shredded chicken onto.
- PICKLES – Dill chips are the perfect topping. I really like Grillo’s Pickles.
How to make Slow Cooker Hot Honey Chicken Sandwiches
- STEP ONE: Prep. Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray and lay the trimmed chicken breasts in the bottom.
- STEP TWO: Season. Mix up the seasonings and sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Then, top with the brown sugar, drizzle on the honey, pour in the vinegar, and top with pats of butter.
- STEP THREE: Cook. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2 hours.
- STEP FOUR: Shred Chicken. After the cook time is up, use two forks to shred the chicken right in the juices.
- STEP FIVE: Serve. Pile some shredded chicken onto a bun, top with pickles and enjoy!
🔥 Heat Tip
Start with 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne and move up from there to suit your family. You can always add more heat but you can’t take it out!
What to serve with hot honey chicken sandwiches
- Use your favorite buns – brioche, hamburger buns, pretzel buns, slider buns, Hawaiian sweet rolls, etc.
- To cool them down, top with dill pickle chips, creamy coleslaw, or ranch dressing.
- Some people like to add a slice of cheese like pepper jack or cheddar to the top.
- Make it a deluxe by adding some crispy bacon.
- You can use boneless breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Don’t want to have a pulled chicken sandwich? Try serving the shredded chicken with a side of rice or stuff it into a baked potato!
- White vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work.
How to reheat and store
How to store leftovers
Leftover chicken can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze it?
Absolutely. You can freeze the cooked chicken in freezer safe containers (I like Souper Cubes) or make this a freezer meal.
Freezer Meal Instructions
Prep the recipe as written but place the ingredients into a large freezer bag and squeeze out excess air. Label the bag with the name and cooking instructions and place in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When ready to cook, move the bag to the refrigerator overnight to thaw or for a quicker option, place the entire bag in a large bowl of cold water for approximately 1 hour or until thawed enough to pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
How to reheat hot chicken
Reheat individual portions in the microwave or if you have enough, pour the entire portion back into the slow cooker to heat through.
Do I have to add liquid to the slow cooker?
Nope. The chicken will give off moisture as it cooks so you don’t need to add additional cooking liquid.
Can I put frozen chicken in the slow cooker?
The safe answer is no, you shouldn’t. Plenty of people will tell you they do it all the time and are fine, but the official recommendation, per the USDA, is to thaw it first. A slow cooker cooks…slow, which means meat stays at an unsafe temperature for too long.
Need more slow cooker chicken recipes recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of slow cooker recipes.