Homemade ranch seasoning mix is perfect for making dressing, dips, or mixing in casseroles. This versatile dry ranch mix is simple to make and can replace the packets you buy in stores.
Homemade Dry Ranch Seasoning
The nice thing about this homemade ranch seasoning is that you get to control the ingredients used. You know exactly what is in it…and what’s not.
No preservatives or MSG in this batch.
You might have all the ingredients on hand in your pantry already. I love that this is an affordable way to get the same ranch flavor you know and love. We use it for so many things!
Why you’ll love this DIY ranch seasoning
Easy Ingredients – You get to control the ingredients in this recipe. What I love is you are using dried or freeze dried herbs that will help to flavor the ranch mixture.
Stores Well – Whip up a batch and then store the dry ranch in an airtight container. Then when you want to make a dip or add into a casserole, you can just measure out what you need.
Make Ahead – You can make this ahead of time so you don’t have to make it up for each recipe you use. Just make and store and grab and go like other spices and ingredients you use.
Equipment you’ll need
- Jars – I like these 3 oz airtight jars.
- Mixing Bowls – I like this glass set because it’s microwave & dishwasher safe so you can use them for everything.
- Whisk – A small whisk to evenly mix the seasoning. They’re so cute!
What is ranch seasoning made of?
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- DRIED PARSLEY
- GARLIC POWDER
- ONION POWDER
- DRIED ONION
- SEA SALT
- POWDERED BUTTERMILK – Optional
How to make Homemade Ranch Seasoning without buttermilk
- STEP ONE: First, pour all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. That’s it lol
Ways to use Ranch Seasoning Mix
This easy mix can be used to replace any recipe that calls for a packet of ranch seasoning.
Sides and Snacks
- You can add less or more of each herb as you would like.
- If you are not a huge fan of chives you can use 1/2 a teaspoon.
- The powdered buttermilk is optional. I prefer to add it only when I’ll be turning the seasoning into a dip or dressing.
- If you want to spice it up, add some cayenne pepper. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, depending on the heat level you want.
How to store it
Pour the homemade dry ranch seasoning into a sealed container or sealed bag. Store in a cool dry place.
How long will it last
You can store this dry mix for up to 3 months. Just make sure it is stored properly to prevent it from spoiling.
Can I freeze homemade ranch dry mix?
Yes, you can freeze the dry mix for 3-4 months. Just store in a bag with as much air removed as possible. Then just freeze until you are ready to use it.
To make ranch dressing
Make the seasoning mix as directed then add it to a large bowl with 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk, 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and 1/3 cup milk. Whisk together until smooth and then enjoy!
Is dry ranch seasoning the same as ranch dip mix?
The dry ranch seasoning and the ranch dip mix are very similar and can be used for one or the other. This recipe here can be used for either recipe, just adjust the ingredients you mix with the ranch mix.
How much ranch seasoning is in a packet?
There are 2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons) of dry mix in a 1 ounce packet of ranch seasoning that you buy in the store.
Why doesn’t it look like the packet?
The packet also includes buttermilk powder, which I don’t add until I want to make dressing or a dip.
Is ranch seasoning the same as ranch dressing mix?
Yes, it’s the same. If you see different labels at the market it is because you can make dip with it (thicker with sour cream or yogurt) or dressing (thinner with milk and mayonnaise).
Need more homemade sauce recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of seasonings and sauces recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
For the ranch seasoning mix
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried onion
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
To make ranch dressing
- 2 Tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
- ⅓ cup powdered buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
To make the ranch seasoning mix
- Mix together & store in an airtight container.
To make ranch dressing/dip
- To a large bowl, whisk together 2 Tablespoons of the ranch seasoning mix with powdered buttermilk, mayo, Greek yogurt, and milk until smooth.
- Store covered in the fridge.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.