Cajun Chex Mix – bold, spicy, and full of texture. This party Chex mix recipe has everything – a flavorful cajun spice blend paired with garlic, onion, butter, and ranch seasoning for a snack experience your guests will never forget! Throw it in the slow cooker, heat, and serve.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Put on your party pants and get ready to make a cajun ranch mix that is sure to spice up any party! Seriously, this cajun ranch Chex mix recipe gives the buffalo and ranch pairing a run for its money.
This recipe has a bold flavor with a hint of heat from the cajun spice blend with cooling effects from the ranch seasoning.
In this post, I am going to show you how to make it in the slow cooker, but feel free to put this together in the oven if your slow cooker is tied up (instructions for both below).
All you need is four main ingredients for your actual Chex Mix and a few pantry spices making it a quick dump-and-go recipe.
Why you’ll love this Cajun Chex Mix Recipe
- This Chex snack mix only takes 5 minutes to prep!
- The combination of cajun and ranch is finger-licking good and often time gets looked over.
- Offers your guest something new to try that will have them singing your praises.
- It comes together in the slow cooker, which really helps infuse the bold flavors.
Equipment needed to make your bold cajun ranch party mix
- Slow Cooker – this has been my slow cooker of choice for years.
- Microwave Safe Bowl – it’s nice to have a variety of sizes.
- Silicone Spatulas – I love these & use them for everything.
Ingredients for your slow cooker Chex Mix
Below is a list of ingredients needed. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card with measurements and instructions.
Chex Cereal – Chex comes in a variety of types & flavors (corn, wheat, rice, gluten free, etc.) but I use corn Chex.
Pretzels – I used pretzel twists here but sticks or whichever shape you like will work.
Nuts – Mixed nuts, use your favorite blend.
Corn Chips – I used BBQ corn chips but you can use plain or chili cheese…or whichever you like.
Seasonings – You’ll need a packet of ranch seasoning, some cajun seasoning, and garlic & onion powder. Hidden Valley makes a ranch seasoning packet or you can make your own. You can also make your own cajun seasoning.
Butter – Salted or unsalted (your preference), but you’ll need a melted stick of butter.
How To Make Spicy Cajun Ranch Party Chex Mix
STEP ONE: First, to the bowl of a 6 quart (or larger) slow cooker, add all the cereal/pretzels/chips.
STEP TWO: Next, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and add in the seasonings. Stir and then pour over the cereal mix. Stir gently until everything is evenly coated then cover but leave the lid slightly cracked (to avoid condensation).
STEP THREE: Set the slow cooker to LOW, stirring every 20 minutes or so for 2.5 hours.
STEP FOUR: Finally, after 2.5 hours, pour the Chex Mix out onto a baking sheet or parchment paper to cool, then enjoy!
How to store leftover slow cooker Chex Party Mix
You’ll want to let your Chex Mix cool completely before storing it in an airtight container or zip top bag. It will last up to two weeks at room temperature in a cool, dry place.
What to serve alongside your homemade Chex Mix
If you’re making this recipe so have something to munch on when you feel like snacking, you might like some of these as well:
- candied pecans recipe
- roasted chickpeas
- squash chips
- homemade tortilla chips (oven & air fryer directions) with On the Border copycat salsa
Slow Cooker Cajun Ranch Chex Mix FAQs
Do I have to make this Chex Mix recipe in the slow cooker?
Nope! If your slow cooker is busy with another appetizer, you can mix everything together and cook it in the oven at 275 for about an hour. Make sure you set your timer for every 15 minutes and give your Chex Mix a good stir.
Why does this cajun Chex Mix have to be cooked?
Because this recipe uses butter, you’ll want to cook it until the butter has had time to absorb and enhance the crispness of the Chex Mix. If you add the butter and don’t use some kind of heat to cook it, whether the oven or slow cooker, your party mix will turn soggy.
Can I make this recipe Gluten-Free?
Yes! You can substitute gluten-free pretzels, rice Chex, or cereal in place of Chex mix. Just be sure to use a gluten-free ranch dressing powder.
What can I substitute the nuts with?
If you or someone you know has a nut allergy, you can substitute them with corn nuts (which are also gluten-free!). They will add the same amount of crunch and texture as the nuts they replaced. You can get the bbq kind or the original – you’ll want to skip the ranch version as it will make the ranch flavor overpowering.
Need more snack recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of snack recipes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Cajun Ranch Party Chex Mix
- 9 cups corn chex cereal
- 2 cups pretzel twists or sticks
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 2 cups bbq corn chips
- 12 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 ounce ranch seasoning mix 1 packet
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- In your slow cooker mix together the corn cereal, pretzels, nuts and corn chips.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter, ranch seasoning, cajun seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder together.
- Pour the seasoning mix over the cereal mixture and stir gently until evenly coated.
- Cook on low with the lid slightly cracked for 2 and a half hours stirring frequently. stirring every 20 minutes.
- Spread the chex mix out on a cookie sheet or parchment paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Add hot sauce to the butter mixture for a spicy kick.
- Separate out into treat bags for a great gift to anyone!
- If you like more heat you can add more cajun seasoning.
- You can use bbq corn chips, plain corn chips or chili cheese corn chips.
- Alternatively, you can bake it in the oven at 275° for about an hour. Make sure you set your timer for every 15 minutes and give your Chex Mix a good stir.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.