Sweet and spicy meatballs are the perfect appetizer for game day or any gathering made easy in the slow cooker. Doctoring up frozen meatballs in the crockpot is easy, delicious, and always a crowd pleaser!
Sweet & Spicy Meatballs
These sweet and spicy, easy crockpot meatballs make the perfect addition to the lineup.
Not only are they the perfect candidate for football party food, this delicious meatball recipe is so easy to throw together, you’ll want them at all your parties (or just for dinner!).
You just need frozen meatballs and a few other ingredients, making them so easy!
Hanging out with friends and family > than spending all day in the kitchen so I like dishes with minimal effort when we have gatherings. Frozen meatballs in the crockpot are PERFECT!
Why you’ll love these Spicy Slow Cooker Meatballs
Family Favorite – Whether it is for a holiday appetizer, game day appetizer, or even as the main course, this delicious recipe is always a hit.
Easy Recipe – I like to have the slow cooker going at holiday parties with some of our favorite easy appetizers and this one is a great option!
All Occasions – Try bringing these to the next party you’re invited to. Christmas Eve, new years, holiday party, game day, or just a gathering, meatballs are always a great option! Plus, they’re so easy to serve out of the crock pot, just turn them to WARM and they’re ready to go.
Spicy Party Meatball Ingredients
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Meatballs – You’ll need a 2 lb bag of frozen meatballs. We usually opt for beef but turkey or plant based meatballs will work as well! Of course you could make homemade meatballs. They’re easy and it’s nice to have a batch in the freezer for these types of dishes.
- Brown Sugar – Adds some of the sweet without being too much.
- Honey – Honey in meatballs are a must for the sweet in this recipe.
- Jalapeno Ketchup – Heinz makes a jalapeno ketchup but you can also make your own.
- Sriracha Sauce – Sriracha is a chili sauce to add heat. If you don’t have any, Sambal Oelek (that I use in my spicy bbq sauce) will work as well.
- Soy Sauce – I like to use low sodium soy sauce, which helps to balance the sweet & spicy. Coconut aminos could also be used.
- Garlic – Mince up a few cloves for the sauce.
- Sliced Green Onions – Used as a garnish for the meatballs. You can also use chopped cilantro instead.
Equipment you’ll need
- Crockpot – I’ve had this slow cooker for years & highly recommend it. It switches to “warm” after the designated cooking time, which is super helpful.
- Tongs – Love these for handling high temperatures since they have silicone tips.
- Mixing bowls – I like the grippy bottoms so the bowls don’t slide around.
- Whisk – This is the most comfortable whisk I think I’ve ever owned. Great for mixing.
How to make Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
- STEP ONE: Add the meatballs into a slow cooker (you’ll want at least a 4 qt size – mine is 6 qt).
- STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, honey, ketchup, sriracha, soy sauce, and garlic until well combined.
- STEP THREE: Pour the sauce mixture over the meatballs and toss to fully coat them. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours, or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- STEP FOUR: Serve your meatballs hot, garnished with green onions or chopped cilantro.
What to serve with them
Or, pair them with firecracker meatballs!
If you’re having them as a main dish, a great way to serve them is with brown rice or noodles and a veggie.
How long to cook frozen meatballs in the crockpot
Frozen meatballs should cook for 2-3 hours on HIGH or 5-6 hours on LOW in the crockpot, stirring occasionally.
If you have time, low and slow really soaks up the flavors leaving you with moist and delicious meatballs.
Should I thaw meatballs before putting in the crockpot?
No. As long as you’ll be cooking your meatballs for at least 2 hours on HIGH, you don’t need to thaw them before you put them in the crockpot. They come fully cooked and just need to warm through.
If you don’t have at least 2 hours of cook time, start with thawed meatballs.
How to store leftovers
Store leftover spicy party meatballs in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze them?
I don’t recommend it, no. Since you start with frozen meatballs, I wouldn’t refreeze them. Once is enough.
More meatball recipes
Click here for my entire collection of meatball recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: