This Easy Taco Dip Recipe is a classic. A simple dip layered with cream cheese, salsa, and other taco toppings only takes minutes to prep and is always a hit with family and friends. Serve it at your next party, gathering, or game day!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Before you know it, Superbowl Sunday will be here. I plan to make lots of comfort food & dips to enjoy the game (from home….alone….lol)!
Not a football fan? No worries, neither am I, but this dip is perfect for any party, gathering, or when the mood strikes for a filling dip recipe. I like to position myself right in front of it so I can dig in.
You can make this dip truly homemade by making your own taco sauce, taco seasoning, and even salsa. I think it tastes even better that way!
WHAT IS TACO DIP MADE OF?
- Refried beans – Use homemade or from a can. It serves as the bottom layer of your dip.
- Cream cheese – I like to use full fat cream cheese but low fat will work as well. Start with room temperature so it’s easy to mix.
- Sour cream – Again, I use full fat, but light will work.
- Salsa – homemade salsa or your favorite jarred. I like Herdez when I’m not making my own.
- Taco seasoning – Make your own taco seasoning to mix in with the cream cheese spread!
- Cheese – Cheddar cheese (or your other favorite variety) as a topping. Preferably shredded from a block for the best texture and flavor. Pre-shredded cheese has non-caking agents that affect quality.
- Tomatoes – dice up a few roma tomatoes for topping!
- Black olives – I like to buy them sliced, or you can slice them yourselves.
- Shredded lettuce – For a layer of freshness.
- Green onions – slice up green onions with the green tops for a garnish topping.
- Taco sauce – try this homemade taco sauce to drizzle over the dip!
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- Baking dish – a good 9×13 dish with a lid is PERFECT for dip recipes! You can even safely move this dish from the freezer to oven.
- Spatulas – silicone spatulas are great for cooking and baking. This set is flexible, easy to clean, and heat resistant.
- Box grater – I’m a big advocate of shredding your own cheese. This box grater makes it easy.
HOW TO MAKE TACO DIP
STEP ONE: Start by spreading the refried beans evenly into the bottom of a baking dish.
STEP TWO: Mix together the sour cream and cream cheese in a small bowl until smooth and well combined. Add in the salsa and taco seasoning and mix until smooth. Spread on top of the bean layer. Pop it into the fridge for about 30 minutes before adding more layers.
STEP THREE: Once chilled, top evenly with shredded cheese, tomatoes, black olives, shredded lettuce, and green onions.
STEP FOUR: Drizzle taco sauce over the top and serve chilled with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
DO YOU SERVE LAYERED TACO DIP HOT OR COLD?
Taco dip is typically served cold as it is prepared as a chilled dip recipe. If you prefer hot dip recipes, taco dip is also tasty warmed up!
HOW TO STORE TACO DIP
Taco dip will last for up to 3 days when stored covered in the refrigerator.
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE TACO DIP
This dip is very versatile and can be changed to suit your tastes. Use mild, medium, or hot salsa, taco seasoning, and taco sauce. Leave off or add any toppings you choose. Add ground beef, turkey, or shredded chicken. Add sliced jalapeños or use black beans instead of refried beans. You can even make a half-and-half dip with different toppings on each half!
WHY IS MY TACO DIP RUNNY?
Your dip may turn out runny if your toppings have a lot of moisture or you’re using a runny salsa. For best results, I suggest using a salsa that isn’t too much liquid and remove as much moisture as possible from any toppings you use. Your taco dip will also thicken the more it chills.
CAN I MAKE IT AHEAD OF TIME?
If you plan to make this ahead of time, I would recommend making the base layer of beans and sour cream mixture and keeping the toppings separate until you are ready to serve. The lettuce and tomatoes can make the dip a bit soggy if it sits for longer than a day so keeping the toppings prepped but separate can prevent this.
CAN I MAKE THIS IN AN 8X8 BAKING DISH?
If you plan to use a smaller dish I would recommend cutting the recipe in half to make sure it all fits in your dish.
MORE DIPS TO EAT WITH TORTILLA CHIPS
Garlic Herb Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Creamy Salsa Dip
Crock Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
I made a fun group on Facebook for sharing recipes, asking questions, and talking about food. I’d love to have you! Request to join HERE.
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION & EBOOK
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me @melissa_pplates and/or #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Share Your Thoughts