Low calorie, low carb, low fat but high flavor turkey Zucchini Taco Boats are a great meal! Everyone will love this recipe full of flavor and tons of fiber!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I’m really trying to eat better. Not only am I trying to lose about 10 leftover pregnancy pounds, but the Mr. is diabetic. Have I mentioned that before? You probably wouldn’t know it with all the baked goods and pasta I make.
He is way more disciplined than I am and doesn’t often indulge, but still. I need to try harder to make low carb meals for him. So, making these zucchini boats into turkey tacos sounded like a great idea!
When I was working on this dish (very quickly, while the baby was occupied with her floor mat), I didn’t have high hopes for it. I love zucchini, but I don’t always love ground turkey. Not that I don’t love it, actually, I just don’t cook with it often.
But then, as I was scooping the meat mixture into the zucchini boats, and tried a spoonful, I knew it was going to be awesome. And the finished product definitely was.
While Julia was patient while I was cooking, she was not so patient for the plating/photographing phase. For that reason, these pictures don’t do the dish justice, but I promise it’s really good.
- Zucchini – Four medium zucchini
- Salsa – I highly recommend making your own salsa (this one is so good!), but jarred works too.
- Ground Turkey
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Tomato Sauce
- Mexican Cheese Blend – shredded
- Sour Cream – optional for serving
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
TIPS FOR MAKING ZUCCHINI BOATS:
- I highly recommend making your own salsa to go into these zucchini boats turkey tacos. It is so easy and so worth it. It makes this dish that much better and you’ll have plenty left over to eat for days with other things.
- Use a melon baller like this Melon Baller with Two Sizes to scoop seeds out of the middle to make the “boats”.
- Make sure to spray your pan to prevent them from sticking on the bottom.
- Don’t overcook the zucchini. You want it soft, but not mushy.
NEED MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
These Zucchini Taco Boats are sure to be a hit with your family. Just think of how much healthier Taco Tuesday will be?
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
With meals like this, you can afford to have some of our delicious Chocolate Brownies for dessert!
Originally published July 1, 2014