“Better Than Box Mix” Chocolate Brownies really are better than the box! Why make a box mix brownies when I’ll bet you have everything on hand to make these?
The other night, after we finished our bourbon chicken, I wanted dessert. I checked the cupboard for a brownie mix but I didn’t have any.
I glanced over this recipe I had pinned last month, realized how simple it was, and decided to give it a shot. I’m really glad I did. I had never made chocolate brownies from scratch but I doubt I’ll go back to the box mix.
Why Choose This Chocolate Brownies Recipe?
This recipe is so simple & really good. They’re very dense and chocolaty and I’ll bet they’re even better with vanilla ice cream.
You probably have all the ingredients on hand so you should give it a shot, you’ll be happy you did. It is just as simple as that. What other reason do you need to make our chocolate brownies?
How To Serve These Chocolate Brownies
This recipe for chocolate brownies makes what would be a “family size” of the box mix – a 9×13 pan, which is about 15-18 good sized brownies. That means you don’t have to fight anyone for your serving. It also means if you are careful, you can sneak a few out of the pan to save for later before anyone sees them!
I recommend serving by themselves, or as a brownie sundae with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup on top! Don’t forget a few extra chocolate sprinkles or chocolate chips!
Chocolate Brownies are one of the most iconic desserts of all time. Using this simple but delicious recipe is ideal. Especially if you are like me and don’t always plan for dessert. Keep ingredients on hand for this recipe and you’ll never be stuck without a chocolate fix when you need it!
Why make a box mix brownies when I'll bet you have everything on hand to make these? They really are "Better Than Box Mix" brownies!
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips I used Ghiradelli baking chips, per usual
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil, allowing it to hang over the edges. Spray foil with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium low heat. Once completely melted, add in the sugar and stir together. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring continually. Don’t let it boil.
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture into a large bowl (or your stand mixer bowl). Add in cocoa powder and mix to combine.
- Add in eggs, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Beat until fully incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in flour until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Once cool, lift the brownies out of the pan using the foil overhang. Peel back the foil and cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.
Photos updated October 12, 2016