Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Brownies are made with coconut oil instead of butter. Only 6 simple ingredients in these “from scratch” brownies – give them a shot!
Guess what’s really hard to take a picture of? Hot, gooey, dark chocolate brownies. They just look like a mess. But they taste good, and that is what is important.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
I made Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies awhile back and they were really good. And they’ve been a really popular post on my lil blog.
Did you know you can swap out butter for coconut oil in most recipes? It’s a 1:1 substitution.
The coconut oil leaves these dark chocolate brownies super moist. Perfectly topped with vanilla ice cream.
COCONUT OIL BROWNIES INGREDIENTS
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil comes in many different “grades”/qualities. Try to pick one that is virgin/unrefined so that it is made with real coconuts and has been minimally processed.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar here.
- Flour – All purpose flour.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – I used dark chocolate (Hershey’s Special Dark, specifically) because I love dark chocolate, but use your favorite.
- Eggs – You’ll use three, large whole eggs.
- Chocolate Chips – Again, I like dark chocolate so I (always) use Ghirardelli baking chips. Again, use your favorite chocolate chip (or other mix-in).
HOW DO YOU MAKE COCONUT OIL BROWNIES
First, melt your coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl.
Then, in a large bowl, add the melted coconut oil, sugar, flour, cocoa, and eggs. Stir until well combined.
Next, stir in the chocolate chips or any other mix-ins.
Finally, pour into a parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish and bake for approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
That’s it! Cool them, slice them, enjoy them!
CAN I USE COCONUT OIL FOR BROWNIES
YES. That’s what we’re doing here! In most cases, you can substitute coconut oil for butter in nearly any recipe on a 1:1 ratio. In some cases, you will get varying results, but it works in these brownies.
IS BUTTER BETTER THAN COCONUT OIL?
Well. That’s slightly subjective. Both coconut oil and butter are saturated fats, but they’re not equal. Coconut oil has a higher saturated fat content than butter but it is made up mostly of lauric acid which helps raise LDL levels (the good fats). Depending on how much the butter is processed, it could be full of preservatives. BUT grass-fed butter has more nutrients than coconut oil. Bottom line – they both have pros and cons, depending on which quality you choose, and both should be used in moderation.
COCONUT OIL BROWNIES TIPS
- Use a high quality coconut oil in your brownies. I like to use Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. You can get it on Amazon, but I think it’s much cheaper in store.
- Line your baking dish with parchment paper. This helps for removal from the pan and clean-up! No need to grease the pan, the oil will take care of that for you.
- If chocolate chips aren’t your thing, feel free to mix in your favorite candy or chip (mint chocolate chips, toffee, M&M’s, etc.)
OTHER BROWNIE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Better than Box Mix Brownies – This recipe makes a “family size” pan of delicious, from-scratch brownies.
- Zucchini Brownies – You’ll never guess the secret ingredient.
- Halloween Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies – If it’s not Halloween time, leave out the orange coloring & you’ve got delicious swirled brownies.
TOOLS TO HELP MAKE COCONUT OIL BROWNIES
- 8×8 Baking Dish – I love that this one has a lid for storing leftovers…if there are leftovers.
- Mixing Bowls – Glass are microwave safe & so pretty.
- Spatulas – I love one piece, silicone spatulas because they’re so easy to clean.
- Brownie Spatula – Do you have a brownie spatula? Did you know that’s a thing?
Connect with Persnickety Plates
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make!
Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Brownies
Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Brownies are made with coconut oil instead of butter. Only 6 simple ingredients in these "from scratch" brownies - give them a shot!
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder I used Hershey's Special Dark
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips I used Ghirardelli baking chips, per usual
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil (about 20 seconds was all mine took).
- Add the sugar, flour, cocoa, and eggs. Stir until well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes (less time if you're using a 9" pan).
Let them cool then cut & enjoy. You can top with powdered sugar, if that floats your boat.
Originally published May 8, 2013