You can make Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken with just FOUR ingredients that tastes just as good as takeout. This simple slow cooker recipe is easy, healthy, and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Crockpot Sweet & Sour Chicken
Getting carryout Chinese food is one of our favorites but making this shortcut Sweet and Sour Chicken in the slow cooker at home is a great alternative.
The best part is there is only four ingredients with almost no prep at all involved. Easy and delicious is an immediate win in my book.
Four Ingredients in Crockpot Sweet & Sour Chicken
Below is a list of ingredients you’ll need. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Chicken breast – boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into 1-inch chunks.
- Apricot preserves – used for the base of your sauce. Pineapple preserves would work as well.
- Soy sauce – balanced the sweetness from the fruit preserves. You can use low-sodium if you prefer.
- Rice vinegar – rice vinegar has a mild, less acidic taste than white distilled vinegar, and is sweeter.
Equipment you’ll need
- Slow Cooker – this is my favorite slow cooker and I cannot recommend it enough. It even switches to warm automatically when cooking is done!
- Tongs – chicken is so much easier to handle with a good pair of tongs. The silicone make them ideal for dealing with hot temperatures.
- Knife – a good ergonomic knife is a must when working in the kitchen, especially when that means lots of chopping like in this recipe.
- Whisk – a good strong whisk is a must when working in the kitchen. This one stands up great even with thick mixtures.
How to make sweet & sour chicken in the slow cooker
STEP ONE: Place the 1-inch chunks of chicken into the slow cooker.
STEP TWO: Whisk together the apricot preserves, soy sauce, and rice vinegar, and pour over the top of the chicken.
STEP THREE: Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours. Allow the sauce to cool slightly so it thickens.
STEP FOUR: Serve with cooked rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
How do I thicken the sauce?
To make a thicker sauce, you can make a slurry. In a small bowl, mix 3 Tablespoons cornstarch and ¼ cup of the sauce from the slow cooker. Once the mixture is smooth, add to slow cooker.
Do I have to use apricot preserves?
No, pineapple preserves will work as well if you don’t have apricot preserves.
Can I add other vegetables?
Yes! I have made this with bell peppers, onions and pineapple chunks. So good! Just add them in with the chicken and stir.
How to store leftover sweet & sour chicken
To store leftovers, move the chicken to an airtight container once cooled. As long as properly stored, it will last about 3-4 days before spoiling.
To reheat, you can pop it in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments, stirring each time. Alternatively, you can heat over the stove for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until warm.
Need more slow cooker chicken recipes? Try these:
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in to 1-inch pieces
- 18 oz apricot preserves
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- sliced green onions
- sesame seeds
- Add chicken pieces to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the apricot preserves, soy sauce, and rice vinegar.
- Carefully pour the mixture over chicken in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Serve with rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.