Restaurant Style Chicken Fried Rice is the ultimate meal to whip up at home.
Skip ordering takeout and make this easy chicken fried rice right in your kitchen. Get the tender rice, perfect blend of veggies, and a little secret ingredient to toss in that adds a nice amount of flavor.
Chicken Fried Rice
The next time you’re debating ordering carryout, check your fridge. If you have leftover rice and chicken, you’re well on your way to this easy chicken fried rice.
You can make homemade fried rice that tastes just as good as your favorite restaurant.
I make stir fry at least once a week, usually with leftover veggies we have but this fried rice is a great way to use up cooked rice and/or chicken.
If you’re tired of chicken, try this one pot shrimp fried rice.
Tools you’ll need
- Large Frying Pan – I have and love this pan.
- Silicone Spatulas – I use these for everything.
- Glass Storage Containers – I recently switched over to all glass containers & I like them so much better. I pack all my lunches in them & it makes meal prep easier.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Cooked Chicken
- Leftover Rice
- Frozen Peas
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Salt And Pepper
Which kind of rice should I use?
Jasmine rice is typically used but I used white rice for this recipe.
For the best results, you want to make sure that you use leftover cold rice. Fresh rice will not give you the right texture.
Is it safe to eat leftover rice?
As long as you follow the safety guidelines from the USDA, leftover rice is fine.
- Don’t leave cooked rice sitting out for more than an hour before eating it or moving it to the fridge.
- When reheating it, make sure it hits 165° F.
- Toss any leftovers after 3-4 days.
Read more about leftovers and food safety on the USDA website.
Which oil is best for making fried rice?
You will find that sesame oil offers a very unique flavor that matches the restaurant version.
If you don’t have sesame oil, canola oil or even vegetable oil will work as well.
Can I use leftover rotisserie chicken for fried rice?
Absolutely! If you have rotisserie chicken on hand or even frozen chicken you batched cooked ahead of time, go right ahead. I love cutting a corner and just tossing in pre-cooked chicken. It tastes just as good and is quick!
The only thing is to make sure that your chicken is not overly seasoned, as that can affect the flavor of the dish if it is heavily seasoned.
What is the secret ingredient to making the best chicken fried rice?
Butter. Call me crazy but butter is going to really add a richness and depth to your rice. This is what many Japanese steakhouses use to give it that crave-worthy flavor that always leaves you wanting more.
Butter will also help things brown up nicely so you get a rich color and flavor to the dish.
You are more than welcome to toss in extra vegetables if you want to add more flavor variation into this recipe. I tend to use these veggies (onions, carrots, & peas) unless I am cleaning out the produce drawer and have extras to throw in.
How to make homemade chicken fried rice
- STEP ONE: Saute diced onion and carrots in sesame oil until tender.
- STEP TWO: Add in the frozen peas and stir.
- STEP THREE: Whisk together the eggs, push the veggies aside, and pour into the pan to scramble them. Once scrambled, mix together.
- STEP FOUR: Add in the cooked chicken and rice and stir.
- STEP FIVE: Add in the soy sauce and secret ingredient – butter! Stir until melted and fully incorporated. Taste and add any salt & pepper, if needed.
What to serve with chicken fried rice
You can truly whip up this chicken fried rice and pair it with any of your favorite side dishes.