Skip takeout and make this incredible Keto Chinese Chicken and Broccoli for dinner tonight! A guiltless Chinese chicken and broccoli that is loaded with flavor and ready in under 30 minutes.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
This Chinese Chicken and Broccoli recipe is made in one skillet and is perfect for that quick and easy weeknight meal – I’ve made it twice in the past week!
IS CHICKEN & BROCCOLI HEALTHY?
This particular chicken & broccoli recipe was specifically designed as a low-carb/keto recipe. You will find it is a lot fewer carbs than a traditional recipe. While it is a lighter version, it doesn’t lack in flavor.
If you’re not following a low carb diet, you can easily make a few adjustments (listed below) to make this a “regular/non-keto” dish. Either way, it’s pretty healthy.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHINESE CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI?
I usually serve mine over brown rice (Trader Joe’s makes a great frozen brown rice that is super convenient for busy weeknights) and Bob usually opts for cauliflower rice to keep it low carb.
It would also be great with zoodles, a green salad, or last week, I made a batch of sweet potato fries in the air fryer to go with mine.
If I’m not using it as a quick weeknight meal, I like to make a batch on Sunday to use for meal prep for our weekday lunches.
- Chicken – I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin 1″ pieces.
- Broccoli – You can use fresh broccoli, cut into small florets OR use a bag of frozen broccoli and steam it in the microwave.
- Sesame Oil – I rotate between using sesame oil and chili oil for a little kick. Both give great flavor.
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Soy Sauce – I use low sodium soy sauce.
- Brown Sugar Substitute or Brown Sugar – If you want this dish to be keto, use your favorite brown sugar substitute (like Swerve). If you’re not worried about it, use regular brown sugar.
- Garlic – Minced garlic.
- Ginger Paste – You can find ginger paste next to the minced garlic at the grocery store. If you don’t have any, you can use ground ginger.
- Sesame Seeds – They add a subtle crunch & nutty flavor.
- Xanthan Gum or Corn Starch – This is optional, but it will thicken your sauce, if that’s what you’re after.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHICKEN & BROCCOLI
STEP ONE: In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add your sesame & olive oils. Add the chopped chicken and cook for approximately 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and tent it with foil so it stays warm.
STEP TWO: If you’re using fresh broccoli, add it to the skillet now & cover to steam until cooked to your liking. If you’re using frozen broccoli, steam it in the microwave then add it to the skillet.
STEP THREE: To a small bowl, add the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar (or substitute), minced garlic, and garlic paste and whisk together. OPTIONAL: If you want a thicker sauce, whisk in 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum or cornstarch.
STEP FOUR: Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet with the broccoli over medium-high heat.
STEP FIVE: Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and toss to coat. Turn the heat to low and let the flavors come together for a few minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve!
WHY IS MY SAUCE THIN?
If you want a thicker sauce you can add xanthan gum or cornstarch into the sauce before you pour into the skillet for a thicker texture sauce. We like it a bit thicker than how it turns out without it.
NEED MORE SKILLET MEALS IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
- Southwest Chicken Skillet
- Chicken Spinach & Artichoke Skillet
- Chicken Spinach & Orzo Skillet
- Mexican Turkey Veggie Skillet Lasagna
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
- Skillet – A large skillet is essential in the kitchen.
- Tongs – I’ve been using silicone tipped tongs in the kitchen lately and love them.
- Swerve – Or your favorite brown sugar substitute to keep this recipe keto.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
I made a fun group on Facebook for sharing recipes, asking questions, and talking about food. I’d love to have you! Request to join HERE.
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION & EBOOK
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me @melissa_pplates and/or #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
Share Your Thoughts