Skip takeout and make this incredible Skillet Chicken & Broccoli for dinner tonight! A quick skillet dinner that is loaded with flavor and ready in under 30 minutes.
Chicken & Broccoli Skillet
This Chicken and Broccoli recipe is made in one skillet and is perfect for that quick and easy weeknight meal – I’ve made it twice in the past week!
Is chicken and broccoli healthy?
This particular chicken & broccoli recipe was specifically designed as a low-carb/keto recipe. You will find it is a lot fewer carbs than a traditional recipe. While it is a lighter version, it doesn’t lack in flavor.
If you’re following a low carb/keto diet, you can use sugar replacements.
Either way, it’s pretty healthy.
Tools you’ll need
- Skillet – A large skillet is essential in the kitchen.
- Tongs – I’ve been using silicone tipped tongs in the kitchen lately and love them.
- Swerve – Or your favorite brown sugar substitute to keep this recipe keto.
- Chicken – I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin 1″ pieces.
- Broccoli – You can use fresh broccoli, cut into small florets OR use a bag of frozen broccoli and steam it in the microwave.
- Sesame Oil – I rotate between using sesame oil and chili oil for a little kick. Both give great flavor.
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Soy Sauce – I use low sodium soy sauce.
- Brown Sugar – I use regular brown sugar but if want this dish to be keto, use your favorite brown sugar substitute (like Swerve).
- Garlic – Minced garlic.
- Ginger Paste – You can find ginger paste next to the minced garlic at the grocery store. If you don’t have any, you can use ground ginger.
- Sesame Seeds – They add a subtle crunch & nutty flavor.
- Xanthan Gum or Cornstarch – This is optional, but it will thicken your sauce, if that’s what you’re after.
How to make Chicken & Broccoli Skillet
- STEP ONE: In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add your sesame & olive oils. Add the chopped chicken and cook for approximately 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and tent it with foil so it stays warm.
- STEP TWO: If you’re using fresh broccoli, add it to the skillet now & cover to steam until cooked to your liking. If you’re using frozen broccoli, steam it in the microwave then add it to the skillet.
- STEP THREE: To a small bowl, add the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar (or substitute), minced garlic, and garlic paste and whisk together. OPTIONAL: If you want a thicker sauce, whisk in 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum or cornstarch.
- STEP FOUR: Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet with the broccoli over medium-high heat.
- STEP FIVE: Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and toss to coat. Turn the heat to low and let the flavors come together for a few minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve!
Why is my sauce thin?
If you want a thicker sauce you can add xanthan gum or cornstarch into the sauce before you pour into the skillet for a thicker texture sauce. We like it a bit thicker than how it turns out without it.
What to serve with it
I usually serve mine over brown rice (Trader Joe’s makes a great frozen brown rice that is super convenient for busy weeknights) and Bob usually opts for cauliflower rice to keep it low carb.
If I’m not using it as a quick weeknight meal, I like to make a batch on Sunday to use for meal prep for our weekday lunches.
Need more skillet meals? Try these:
- Southwest Chicken Skillet
- Chicken Spinach & Artichoke Skillet
- Chicken Spinach & Orzo Skillet
- Mexican Turkey Veggie Skillet Lasagna
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: