One of my favorite side dishes/snacks – oven baked sweet potato fries with a little kick of chili powder!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Hey, long time, no talk. Let’s catch up. Current events – the Superbowl was yesterday. My site blew up with people making Buffalo Cauliflower. Have you tried it yet?
During the Superbowl, it started snowing here. A lot. By this morning, we had 16″+. Our snow blower wouldn’t start and our shovel handle broke in half while my husband was shoveling. His rear wheel drive car didn’t stand a chance.
God wanted us to have a snow day.
In life news, we have a house under contract (!!!!!) so I spend a lot of time rummaging up documents for the mortgage, quoting new insurance policies, and pinning tons of ideas to my grown up house board on Pinterest. There’s a very good chance that I’m going to have a kitchen with more than one drawer in the very near future. Say a lil’ prayer for us!
So, on to these baked sweet potato fries. I only recently realized I like sweet potatoes, but I’m pretty picky about how they’re prepared. I don’t like them on Thanksgiving covered in sticky marshmallows.
I just like them slightly dolled up and baked, not fried. I make this baked sweet potato fries recipe often so I figured it was time I share them.
BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES INGREDIENTS
- Sweet Potatoes – I used two large sweet potatoes here. I know that is subjective – sometimes they’re as big as my arm – but an average “large”.
- Butter – I used salted.
- Minced Garlic – You can use fresh garlic, but I always keep the minced garlic packed in olive oil on hand.
- Salt – To balance the sweet.
- Chili Powder – Chili powder is a blend of spices (paprika, cumin, onion powder, oregano, etc.) and adds great flavor with a little kick.
- Pepper – I always use freshly ground black pepper.
Since our Superbowl plans got snowed out, I made these with a very simple spicy slow cooker chicken.
HOW TO BAKE SWEET POTATO FRIES
Making baked sweet potato fries is easy!
First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet (preferably one with a lip) with foil and set aside.
Then, scrub your potatoes, peel them (or not, up to you), and slice them into fairly thin, equally sized strips.
In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Add in the garlic, salt, chili powder, and pepper to the melted butter and whisk together.
Pour the melted butter mixture and sweet potato fries into a large zip top bag, close it up, then shake, shake, shake! Make sure the butter and seasonings are evenly distributed.
Then, pour the sweet potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet, in a single layer.
Bake for 10 minutes, stir them around with a spatula, then bake another 10 minutes or until desired crispness.
Finally, remove from the oven, give them another sprinkle of salt if you want, then serve!
HOW LONG TO BAKE SWEET POTATO FRIES
It only takes about 20 minutes total to bake sweet potato fries at 450 degrees.
ARE BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES HEALTHY
Sweet potatoes have higher counts of Vitamins A & C than white potatoes, which you don’t lose when you bake them (as opposed to frying them). Assuming this recipe makes 4 servings, you’re getting about 122 calories per serving, 14 carbs, 7 fat.
OTHER VEGGIE FRIES YOU MIGHT LIKE
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
HOW TO MAKE BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2.5 Tablespoons butter I use salted
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, line a baking sheet with tin foil, and set aside.
- Scrub your potatoes, peel them, and slice into thin strips.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add in the garlic, salt, chili powder, and pepper to the melted butter. Whisk together.
- Toss the sweet potatoes into the melted butter mixture then spread onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Spread them out so they're not overlapping, if possible.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, use a spatula to flip the fries, then bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with more salt (if you think they'll need it), let rest on the pan for five minutes, then serve.