Homemade Mexican Pizza made with ground turkey and refried black beans is so good! You won’t miss Taco Bell’s version at all.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Serve this homemade Mexican Pizza with cilantro lime rice and homemade blender salsa. Oh & Mexican Wedding Cake for dessert!
Do you like Taco Bell? Personally, I’m not much of a fan.
If anything, I usually get nachos & cheese (lame), but my husband loves it. I consider most fast food mystery meat (no offense. ha) so I try to avoid it but when you think about it, most of Taco Bell’s dishes are pretty easy to copycat at home. With real food.
Last night I wanted an easy dinner for the ground turkey I had set out and decided on these Mexican Pizzas. They’ve very easy, very customizable, and very good.
You could use jarred salsa and skip the rice, but they make it even better. I like black beans but you can use regular refried beans if those are your favorite.
- Ground turkey or ground beef – use a lean cut.
- Olive oil
- Taco Seasoning – I highly recommend homemade taco seasoning (it’s easy), but a packet will work, too.
- Refried Beans – I use refried black beans but use your favorite.
- Salsa – Again, highly recommend making your own – this homemade salsa is really easy and worth the extra steps.
- Tortillas – I use soft taco size. Whole wheat, flour, carb smart – use your favorite.
- Shredded Cheese – either a Mexican blend or shred your own. Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack would be good.
- Toppings – black olives, diced tomatoes, green onions, sour cream…
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN PIZZAS
STEP ONE: Cook your meat with taco seasoning in a large skillet.
STEP TWO: Lay a tortilla on a foil lined baking sheet. Spread on some refried beans, top with cooked meat, add another tortilla on top and bake for 10 minutes at 350.
STEP THREE: Remove from the oven, top with salsa, sprinkle on cheese, add on any toppings, some more cheese, and bake another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
STEP FOUR: Remove from oven, slice with a pizza cutter, and serve with sour cream and more salsa for dipping.
NEED MORE MEXICAN RECIPES IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
- Southwest Chicken Skillet
- Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Turkey Skillet Lasagna
- Zucchini Boat Turkey Tacos
- Creamy Salsa Dip
- One Dish Salsa Chicken Casserole
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
- Meat Chopper – perfect for cooking ground meat.
- Veggie Chopper – I LOVE this thing. Perfect for dicing olives or onions.
- Pizza Cutter – to easily slice it up.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
I made a fun group on Facebook for sharing recipes, asking questions, and talking about food. I’d love to have you! Request to join HERE.
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION & EBOOK
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me @melissa_pplates and/or #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
aimee @ like mother like daughter says
I’ll addmit, taco bell is one of my guilty pleasures. This mexican pizza looks delicious! I love that you made it lighter with turkey!
Melissa Williams says
Thanks, Aimee =)
This looks great – kind of like a layered, open faced quesadilla. Thanks for sharing.
The recipe includes olive oil but makes no mention in the directions of using it.
Melissa Williams says
It’s in step #2 🙂
Janet Stubenrauch says
Omg, the Mexican Pizza is DELICIOUS !!! My husband gave it a big thumbs up!!
I will definitely make this again and again!!!