Baked Salsa Chicken Casserole is the perfect one pan dinner recipe for busy weeknights or any night that you want a quick and easy dinner that’s full of flavor!
I’m always trying to think of quick and easy dinner ideas. I make a really easy slow cooker salsa chicken but sometimes, I forgot to set the slow cooker so this One Dish Baked Salsa Chicken Casserole is perfect.
Why you’ll love this Salsa Chicken Casserole
- One dish – it’s easy to make and all in one casserole dish!
- Minimal ingredients – only 7 pantry staples.
- Family favorite – you can use whatever “heat” of salsa your family likes.
Equipment you’ll need
- Casserole Dish – I like one with a lid for storing leftovers.
- Tongs – to easily handle chicken without getting your hands dirty!
- Silicone Spatulas – I use these for everything. They’re heat safe.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this One Dish Baked Salsa Chicken Casserole
Below is a list of ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this casserole. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- CHICKEN – Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which is approximately 1 pound. Trim off any excess fat/tendons and butterfly them (slice them in half) so they cook faster).
- RICE – I use Ben’s Original rice. I haven’t tested with others.
- WATER – I use water but you can sub in chicken broth for even more flavor.
- SALSA – I use my homemade blender salsa when I have it on hand but I also like Herdez or Mateo’s jarred salsa. Use whichever heat you like best.
- BUTTER – You’ll melt a bit of butter to add to the rice/water mixture.
- TACO SEASONING – Again, I like homemade taco seasoning so you can control what goes into it, but you can also use a favorite packet.
- CHEESE – I usually suggest shredding your own cheese, like a colby jack or monterey jack, but for something like this I often pick up a bag of Mexican blend shredded cheese.
How to make Salsa Chicken Casserole
STEP ONE: First, add the rice, melted butter, water, and one teaspoon of the taco seasoning to the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
STEP TWO: Next, add the trimmed chicken breasts to a large zip top baggie with the remaining taco seasoning, close, then shake to evenly coat. Lay the seasoned chicken onto the rice mixture and press down with a spatula to tuck it into the water. Pour the salsa over the top.
STEP THREE: Finally, cover the casserole dish with foil and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, open the oven, give the rice a stir, sprinkle the cheese over the top, recover, and then bake an additional 15 minutes.
How should I store leftovers?
Leftovers should be stored covered in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
It’s been an hour and my rice isn’t done. Why?
First, try baking an additional 15 minutes. I’ve had a couple people say this and I can’t figure out why but I think it is due to variations in rice. I suggest using Ben’s Original rice as that is what I’ve tested it with.
Need more chicken casserole ideas? Try these:
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Or maybe you’ll like…
Blender Salsa (On The Border copycat)