One pot and 30 minutes are all you need for this Southwest Chicken Skillet! Big flavor without a lot of effort.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
When I say this is a 30 minute meal, I’m not lying. Maybe 35 minutes, depending on how long it takes you to cut up your chicken, but the majority of the cook time you’re just waiting for the rice to cook.
Not only is it quick, it really is one of my favorite meals. I love the flavors and how they come together. It warms up beautifully and is great for a quick weeknight meal.
SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SKILLET INGREDIENTS
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, Montreal Chicken, red pepper flakes – your choice
- Olive Oil – extra virgin
- Rice – white rice, uncooked
- Rotel – one 10 oz can of the diced tomatoes & green chiles, whichever heat level you like
- Tomato Sauce – an 8 oz can
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Sour Cream – as an optional topping
WAYS TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SKILLET
- Add in a can of rinsed black beans at the same time as you add the rice to add more protein. Or, skip the chicken altogether and use black beans instead.
- Stir in some corn at the end (either frozen or canned) before you top with shredded cheese.
- Once done, top with sour cream, green onions, or more shredded cheese.
- Sensitive to spice? Either opt for “mild” Rotel or just use diced tomatoes instead.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE THIS SKILLET DINNER
- Skillet with a lid – I have this one & am a fan.
- Silicone Spoons – I’ve had this set for YEARS and I love that they don’t scratch up your pans and have the little notch to hold them onto the side of the pan.
- Can Opener – I actually need a new one & you have a few cans to open in this recipe.
NEED MORE SKILLET MEALS IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
- Chicken Spinach & Orzo Skillet
- Mexican Turkey Veggie Skillet Lasagna
- One Skillet Beef & Veggie Pasta
- One Pot Mexican Skillet Bake
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
Southwest Chicken Skillet
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Montreal Chicken seasoning to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- 10 oz can RoTel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese to taste
- sour cream
- Cut your chicken into small (about 1″) pieces and season with salt, pepper, Montreal chicken seasoning, and red pepper flakes (or whichever seasonings you prefer).
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and coat with the olive oil.
- Once hot, add in the seasoned chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in the uncooked rice, can of RoTel, can of tomato sauce, and water. Bring to a boil then cover.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook for 10 minutes or until rice is tender. After 10 minutes, stir to prevent the rice from sticking, the re-cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Once the rice is done, stir the mixture and top with a handful of shredded cheese. Turn off heat and cover for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and serve.