This Chicken Spinach & Orzo Skillet brings chicken, spinach, orzo, tomatoes, and feta together to create a full meal in one skillet! A delicious 30 minute meal!
You guys know I love a good skillet meal (See Southwest Chicken Skillet, Cheesy Chicken Pasta Skillet, or Mexican Turkey Veggie Skillet Lasagna). We only recently discovered that we love orzo (it’s just a rice shaped pasta for those of you that, like me, hadn’t tried it before). I bought a box months ago and never made it until a couple weeks ago. Not only do we love it, Baby Girl loves it and it’s easy to mix with peas or spinach or broccoli for simple meals for her. One of the things I love most about being a mom (there are a lot of things, but seriously) is feeding Julia.
She’s a blank slate and I love making her food and putting good ingredients into her little, growing body. It’s been really important to me to make healthy choices for her.
We picked up chicken at Walmart because that’s Baby Girl’s happy place. For some reason, going to Walmart makes her day.
I love adding spinach to just about any meal and the flavors from the chicken, orzo, tomatoes and feta really bring this dish together. It is simple but super flavorful and also made great leftovers. Plus, you don’t have to get a ton of dishes dirty. All the qualities of a great meal.
Chicken Spinach & Orzo Skillet
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup orzo
- 3 cups fresh spinach rinsed
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup feta (I used tomato & basil)
- Trim your chicken breasts and cut into bite size pieces. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if using), and garlic powder.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil and minced garlic.
- Add in the prepared chicken and cook until no longer pink, stirring often.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Once boiling, add orzo and cook for 6-8 minutes or until your desired consistency.
- Once the orzo is done, drain the pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of the water.
- Add the orzo to the chicken skillet over low heat.
- Add in the spinach leaves.
- Add in the diced tomatoes (drained) and tomato paste.
- Stir in some of the pasta water, if necessary, and stir.
- Cover the pot to let the spinach fully wilt, if necessary.
- Once fully combined, sprinkle with crumbled feta and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.