Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites – A spicy, healthy, vegetarian, delicious alternative to chicken wings, these cauliflower buffalo wings have been pinned over 600K times because they’re that good!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
So I’m well into my Mexico trip now. Hopefully I’m on the beach with a drink in my hand, but, I actually wrote up a few posts before I left so you’ll have something to read in my absence.
I expected to like this buffalo cauliflower, but I didn’t fully expect it to be as good as it was.
Before I cut out most meat, I used to like boneless chicken wings and wanted to find a vegetarian alternative.
These cauliflower buffalo wings don’t taste like chicken, but the spicy flavor and crispy texture were pretty close to boneless wings.
BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER BITES INGREDIENTS
- Cauliflower – One head of cauliflower. Now, sizes vary, so you may need to alter your batter to make more if you have a giant head.
- Flour – I’ve only tested this with all purpose white flour, but a reader said it worked well with almond flour too.
- Hot Sauce – I use Frank’s Wing Sauce or Frank’s Hot Sauce, but use your favorite in the batter. To make the sauce, I recommend Frank’s Wing Sauce.
- Garlic Salt
- Dried Onion
- Butter – I use melted butter for the sauce but if you want to keep it vegan, coconut oil will work as well.
I didn’t even think I liked cooked cauliflower, but I really liked this. I ate it, with nothing else, for dinner. They were that good.
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
First, line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat, spray with non-stick spray, and set aside.
Then, wash the cauliflower and cut it into bite size pieces, somewhat similar in size. Pat it dry, if necessary.
Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, water, hot sauce, garlic salt, and dried onion.
Then, dip each piece of cauliflower into the batter (use tongs to keep your fingers clean!) to fully coat it, let the excess drip off, then lay it onto the baking sheet you prepared.
Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees until batter hardens.
While it’s baking, make the sauce by whisking together the wing sauce, melted butter, and pinch of salt in a small bowl.
Once the 15 minutes are up, brush the cauliflower with the sauce, making sure you evenly coat each piece, then put them back in the oven for 5-7 minutes to crisp up.
Finally, remove from the oven, let cool slightly, then enjoy!
WHAT IS BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
Buffalo cauliflower is a vegetarian alternative to chicken wings, made out of cauliflower. You get the same spicy flavor without the meat.
CAN YOU USE FROZEN CAULIFLOWER TO MAKE BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
I have not tried to use frozen cauliflower in this recipe. I have a feeling it might end up mushy and would stick with fresh cauliflower.
WHAT TO EAT WITH BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER CRISPY
If you follow the recipe, you’ll see that you bake the cauliflower with the batter on it, then add the sauce and put it back in the oven for 5-7 minutes to crisp it up. I’ve had very good results with this method every time. Several readers have put them in the broiler for 2-3 minutes for extra crispiness.
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER WINGS
TIPS & TRICKS
- Heads of cauliflower vary in size. I’ve seen some HUGE cauliflowers. I would say I used a medium size head for this recipe. Make more batter, if necessary.
- I like to use Frank’s WING sauce and not regular hot sauce. Others have reported success with various other barbecue sauces.
TOOLS TO HELP:
- Mixing Bowls – You’ll need two for the batter & sauce.
- Baking Sheets – With lips are helpful so no cauliflower rolls off the pan.
- Whisk – For making the batter & the sauce.
- Pastry Brush – I feel like silicone pastry brushes are so much easier to clean than traditional brushes.
NEED MORE CAULIFLOWER IDEAS? TRY THESE:
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Loaded Potato & Cauliflower Soup
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
NEED MORE BUFFALO RECIPES IN YOUR LIFE? TRY THESE:
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
- 1 head of cauliflower
For the batter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 dash Frank's Wing Sauce or Frank's Original Hot Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried onion
For the buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup Frank's Wing Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter melted
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat and spray with non-stick spray (I always use olive oil spray) and set aside.
- Wash your head of cauliflower and cut into somewhat even pieces. Pat dry, if necessary
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the batter ingredients. It will be fairly thick.
- Dip each piece of cauliflower into the batter until fully and evenly coated. Let excess batter drip off. Place onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the batter just hardens.
- In a small bowl, mix together the buffalo sauce ingredients.
- Once the cauliflower are done, remove from the oven and brush with the buffalo sauce. Again, fully and evenly coat each piece.
- Put back into the oven and bake for a few more minutes (5-7 minutes was my range), until the sauce has hardened and the cauliflower is crisp.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, then enjoy! We dipped ours in Ranch dressing.
- Heads of cauliflower vary in size. I've seen some HUGE cauliflowers. I would say I used a medium size head for this recipe. Make more batter, if necessary.
- I like to use Frank's WING sauce and not regular hot sauce. Others have reported success with various other barbecue sauces.