Loaded Potato and Cauliflower Soup has everything you love about loaded potato soup – it’s creamy, full of smoky bacon, and cheese – but is lightened up with the use of cauliflower!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Loaded Potato and Cauliflower Soup is a delicious, easy soup made healthier with the use of cauliflower!
It is creamy and comforting but the cauliflower adds the balance you need when topped with all the traditional baked potato toppings.
This recipe comes from Lindsay Maintland Hunt’s new cookbook, Healthyish. Healthyish is pretty much my eating philosophy, so I was happy to add this cookbook to my collection. It is full of simple recipes that are good for you but not too good for you. Perfect.
How to make Loaded Potato & Cauliflower Soup
- You start this soup with bacon fat, which means the soup has a delicious smoky flavor. Use thick cut bacon.
- Though this soup is creamy and comforting, there is no actual cream in this soup. Thanks, cauliflower & potatoes!
Tips for making Loaded Potato & Cauliflower Soup:
- Heads of cauliflower vary greatly in size (I realize it every time I make my Buffalo Cauliflower Bites). For this recipe, you’ll want a medium head, which should be about 1 1/4 lbs, which should be about 6 cups when chopped.
- Wash, peel, then wash your potatoes again to eliminate excess starch.
- Cube the potatoes into approximately 1/2 inch pieces so they’ll cook evenly.
- I don’t have an immersion blender so I pureed my soup in the blender, in batches. I left some chunks of potato and cauliflower for texture – you can puree to your preference.
Whenever I need a new gadget or piece of kitchen equipment, I turn to OXO. Having high quality tools make being in the kitchen fun and enjoyable.
Tools used to make Loaded Potato & Cauliflower Soup
- Pro 8″ Chef’s Knife – a good knife makes chopping easy & enjoyable
- 12″ tongs – easily flip & grab the bacon from the pan with these tongs
- Wooden corner spoon – easily cook onions and stir your simmering soup with this one-piece spoon
- Coarse grater – for freshly grated cheese, of course
- Swivel peeler – I’ve had this peeler for years. It makes peeling apples, cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, etc. a breeze
- Kitchen & herb scissors – these kitchen scissors cut meat, veggies, herb – anything food related
Other Cauliflower Recipes
- Buffalo Cauliflower – a great, vegetarian alternative to chicken wings!
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – a low carb casserole that rivals loaded mashed potatoes
- Roasted Cauliflower – a staple in our house, sometimes simple is best!
Connect with Persnickety Plates
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make!
Loaded Potato & Cauliflower Soup
- 4 large slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 onions chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 large potatoes peeled & chopped into small pieces (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower cut into small pieces (about 6 cups)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream grated cheese, and chopped chives
- Heat a large soup pot over medium low heat. Add the bacon slices flat into the pot and cook, turning a couple times, until crispy and most of the fat has drained from the bacon. This will take 8-12 minutes. Once crisp, use tongs to move the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- To the pot with bacon fat, all the chopped onions, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent. About 10-12 minutes.
- Add in the chopped potatoes, cauliflower, and chicken stock. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a strong simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fork tender. About 15-20 minutes.
- Puree the soup using either a blender in batches (that's what I did), or an immersion blender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Scoop into a bowl and garnish with crumbled bacon, cheese, sour cream, chives.
Thank you to OXO for sending me the tools to make this soup!