Loaded Potato and Cauliflower Soup has everything you love about loaded potato soup – it’s creamy, full of smoky bacon, and cheese – but is lightened up with the use of cauliflower!
Cauliflower Potato Soup
Loaded Potato and Cauliflower Soup is a delicious, easy soup made healthier with the use of cauliflower!
It is creamy and comforting but the cauliflower adds the balance you need when topped with all the traditional baked potato toppings.
This recipe comes from Lindsay Maintland Hunt’s new cookbook, Healthyish. Healthyish is pretty much my eating philosophy, so I was happy to add this cookbook to my collection. It is full of simple recipes that are good for you but not too good for you. Perfect.
How to make Loaded Potato & Cauliflower Soup
- You start this soup with bacon fat, which means the soup has a delicious smoky flavor. Use thick cut bacon.
- Though this soup is creamy and comforting, there is no actual cream in this soup. Thanks, cauliflower & potatoes!
Tips & Suggestions
- Heads of cauliflower vary greatly in size (I realize it every time I make my Buffalo Cauliflower Bites). For this recipe, you’ll want a medium head, which should be about 1 1/4 lbs, which should be about 6 cups when chopped.
- Wash, peel, then wash your potatoes again to eliminate excess starch.
- Cube the potatoes into approximately 1/2 inch pieces so they’ll cook evenly.
- I don’t have an immersion blender so I pureed my soup in the blender, in batches. I left some chunks of potato and cauliflower for texture – you can puree to your preference.
Whenever I need a new gadget or piece of kitchen equipment, I turn to OXO. Having high quality tools make being in the kitchen fun and enjoyable.
Equipment you’ll need
- Pro 8″ Chef’s Knife – a good knife makes chopping easy & enjoyable
- 12″ tongs – easily flip & grab the bacon from the pan with these tongs
- Wooden corner spoon – easily cook onions and stir your simmering soup with this one-piece spoon
- Coarse grater – for freshly grated cheese, of course
- Swivel peeler – I’ve had this peeler for years. It makes peeling apples, cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, etc. a breeze
- Kitchen & herb scissors – these kitchen scissors cut meat, veggies, herb – anything food related
More ways to use cauliflower
- Buffalo Cauliflower – a great, vegetarian alternative to chicken wings!
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – a low carb casserole that rivals loaded mashed potatoes
- Roasted Cauliflower – a staple in our house, sometimes simple is best!
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Thank you to OXO for sending me the tools to make this soup!