Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – a low carb alternative to loaded potato casserole!
I’ve got another side dish and it’s another really good one! Last week I mentioned how I’m trying to make some better low carb options for my diabetic husband. It’s really hard for me because I love pasta and potatoes and rice. Fortunately, I also love vegetables so I’m trying to focus on making them more exciting than just the usual. To add another level of trickiness to Bob’s dietary needs, he’s also lactose intolerant. Do you know how many things are covered in cheese on Pinterest? Basically all of them.
Luckily, Crystal Farms Cheese is lactose tolerant so I can use it in this casserole without hurting my husband. It’s also a natural product (yay), that is rich in calcium (perfect for my little cheese lover) and gluten free.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Crystal Farms Cheese. All opinions are 100% mine.
Buffalo Cauliflower is, by far, my most popular post so I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to make another cauliflower dish. Clearly, the world loves cauliflower. I made this last night for dinner and I’m looking forward to leftovers tonight. It really rivals a baked/loaded mashed potato! It’s simple enough to make as a weeknight side but I already have plans to serve it for Thanksgiving. It can easily be made into a vegetarian dish if you omit the bacon on the top but a little bit of crisp bacon just adds to the flavor.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, washed & broken into florets
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese + more for topping
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 strip of crisp bacon, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Wash your cauliflower and break it up into small pieces. (I usually chop it in half then break up the florets by hand). Add them to a medium saucepan with 1 cup of water. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain and return to the saucepan.
- To the cooked cauliflower, add the sour cream, cheddar cheese, panko, salt, pepper, and onion. Gently mix.
- Spread the mixture into your prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with more shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Top with chopped bacon.
Bob loved it. Julia loved it. I loved it. This one is definitely going into the regular rotation.
Crystal Farms Cheese wants to give one of you a blue Le Creuset casserole dish. It’s a beautiful dish and I’m pretty jealous. Enter below. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Crystal Farms on Facebook | Crystal Farms on Pinterest | Crystal Farms favorites