These five ingredient, semi-homemade Cream Cheese Sprinkle Cookies are simple and festive for the holidays or any time of year.
Cream Cheese Sprinkle Cookies
This easy cookie recipe comes from my mom. It originally came from an old PTA cookbook and she’s made them many times over the years.
I first tried to make them in a cookie press, but I have no cookie press skills, so a cookie scoop worked out better for me.
Things you’ll need
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer – I recommend using a stand mixer, if you have one, because it’s a thick dough, but I’ve also successfully used a hand mixer.
- Cookie Scoop – For evenly portioned cookies.
- Baking Sheets – I like using baking sheets with a lip so things don’t roll off. (it’s happened to me too many times!)
- SPRINKLES – I often find really pretty sprinkles at TJ Maxx/HomeGoods, but Amazon has a great selection, too.
Ingredients you’ll need to make these Cream Cheese Sprinkle Cookies
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
These cookies only have 5 ingredients that you likely already have on hand in your fridge/pantry.
- Butter – Make sure you start with room temperature butter.
- Cream Cheese – Again, room temperature cream cheese will make mixing this cookie dough easier.
- Egg Yolk – You only need the yolk, not the white for this recipe.
- Vanilla Extract – I know it’s expensive right now, but use a good quality vanilla extract if you can. Not imitation!
- Cake Mix – I use yellow cake mix but you can swap out the flavor to mix these up.
- Sprinkles! – The best part! I use Christmas colored sprinkles when I’m baking for the holidays but rainbow sprinkles look really pretty year-round.
How to make sprinkle cookies with cream cheese
First, to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
Next, cream in the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
Then, add the cake mix, in thirds, to the mixture. It will be very thick, that’s why adding in portions is important.
After it is fully combined, stir in whichever color sprinkles you want and evenly distribute them.
Then, cover and chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
While the dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Once chilled, scoop the dough out with a cookie scoop, adding 12 to each baking sheet. Press additional sprinkles onto the top of each dough ball, if desired.
Finally, bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden around the edges and the centers are set.
Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to finish cooling.
Tips for Success ⭐️
- If you have one, I recommend using a stand mixer for these cookies. The dough is very thick and it works easier in a stand mixer. That said, a hand mixer will work just fine as well.
- Use room temperature butter and cream cheese to make mixing easier.
- Make sure you chill the dough or it will be sticky and hard to work with.
- You’ll have sprinkles mixed into the dough but add a few to the top of each dough ball before baking to make them even prettier.
Do you put sprinkles on cookies before or after you bake them?
In this recipe, you’ll both mix sprinkles into the dough and then sprinkle additional sprinkles onto the dough balls BEFORE you bake them.
Can you freeze cookie dough with cream cheese in it?
Yes, you can freeze this dough for up to 3 months.
How to store them
Store baked cookies in an airtight container, at room temperature, for 3-4 days.
Need more sprinkles in your life? Try these:
Click here to view my entire collection of cookie recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Originally published December 12, 2012