Cream Cheese Funfetti Bars are simple, semi-homemade treats that are perfect to kick off spring baking. Start with a box funfetti cake mix and add cream cheese to make these fun and delicious bars!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
The weather has been such a tease here lately. The past two weekends have hit 60+ degrees but in between, we got a foot of snow. I’m so ready for spring. I’m ready for birds singing, sunshine, bike rides… I have family in the south and blog friends across the country and I see all their pics on social media and I have major outdoor-activities jealousy.
For now, until it warms up, we run a lot of errands and do a lot of baking. Last weekend, we went to Walmart to stock up on baking supplies and swing by the toy department to do some pre-birthday browsing.
CREAM CHEESE FUNFETTI BARS INGREDIENTS
- Funfetti Cake Mix – Funfetti cake mix comes in many varieties. I used the “spring” version here (pastel colors) but any of them will work.
- Cream Cheese – I used regular, full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature.
- Butter – I used salted butter here but most bakers prefer to use unsalted so you can control the salt content.
- Egg – One large egg.
- Vanilla Extract – I know pure vanilla extract is expensive right now (there’s a shortage) but please use real and non imitation. I like to save a bit by stocking up at Sam’s or Costco and buying in bulk.
- Vanilla Funfetti Frosting – Again, the Funfetti frosting comes in many colors/flavors. I used vanilla here but you can use whichever you like.
- Sprinkles – Don’t skimp on the sprinkles. They make life better.
After we were done with the baking supplies and made our way to the toy department, our trip got a little waylaid. Julia was crouching down looking at a PlayDoh display and I was standing right next to her.
She somehow tipped over, like toddlers tend to do, and an older woman ran over her fingers with her cart. Julia, of course, started crying immediately so I swooped her up to make sure she was ok. She was, but you know what the woman said?
Not, “is she ok?”, not, “I’m sorry!”. Just an irritated “jeeze”. People really disappoint me sometimes.
Anyway, we headed home and started baking. I’ve mentioned it many times before, but baking with her is one of my favorite things to do. I’m really lucky in that she’s pretty patient in the kitchen and can generally be trusted with pouring ingredients into the bowl.
Using a cake mix is perfect for her attention span – we whipped up these bars in no time.
I used the spring version of Funfetti cake mix and vanilla frosting but the traditional one will work just as well. I also added extra sprinkles to the batter (the ones that came with the frosting can) to up the oomph of pretty colors.
TOOLS TO HELP MAKE CREAM CHEESE FUNFETTI BARS
- Sprinkles! – I like to use these pretty confetti sprinkles in these bars.
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish – I love that this one has a lid for storing leftovers.
- Hand Mixer – As much as I love my stand mixer, I find myself reaching for my hand mixer even more.
- Silicone Spatulas – I love the variety of shapes & sizes in this set. And colors!
HOW DO YOU MAKE CREAM CHEESE FUNFETTI BARS
Making Funfetti Cream Cheese Bars is easy! First, add your room temperature butter & cream cheese to a mixing bowl and cream together.
Next, add in the egg & vanilla and mix until fully combined.
Then, add in the cake mix, 1/3 at a time, mixing in between. The batter will be very thick! Feel free to stir in more sprinkles at this point!
Finally, spread the batter into a 9×13 baking dish that’s been lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Once done and cooled, slice in bars & serve!
Connect with Persnickety Plates
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make!
Cream Cheese Funfetti Bars
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix
- 1 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temp
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vanilla Funfetti frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper or foil. Lightly spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until fully combined.
- Add in the Funfetti cake mix, 1/3 at a time, and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Feel free to add additional sprinkles to the batter - also stirred in the sprinkles that came on the top of the Funfetti frosting can.
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once fully cooled, frost, add sprinkles, and cut into bars.
MORE SPRING BAKING IDEAS
Spring Chick Cupcakes
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.