Making homemade tortilla chips is probably easier than you think. You only need THREE ingredients and can easily make them in the oven or the air fryer. Perfect for dipping in salsa or guac, topping soups, or just as a snack!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Did you ever wonder how to make tortilla chips? If you have corn or flour tortillas in your fridge, you’re halfway there. You just need tortillas, olive oil spray, and salt. That’s it!
I rotate between making them in my oven and in my air fryer – both have great results – so we’ll go over both methods.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe – either method requires the same ingredients. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Tortillas – You can use either corn or flour tortillas, it depends on your personal preference.
- Olive Oil – Either buy non-stick spray or use an olive oil mister. If you prefer avocado oil or coconut oil, you can use those as well.
- Salt – You’ll want to use a coarse salt to really stick to the chips, like restaurant-style. If all you have is table salt, that will work, too.
Equipment you’ll need
- Air Fryer – If you’re choosing to make these in the air fryer, this is the one I have & recommend.
- Lipped Baking Sheet – If you’re making them in the oven, I like to use a baking sheet that has a lip so no chips slide off.
- Parchment Liners – If making in the air fryer, I love using these liners for easy clean up (make sure you pick the size/shape that fits your air fryer). If you’re making them in the oven, I like to line my pan with foil, parchment paper, or silicone mats for the same reason.
How to make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
If you have tortillas in your fridge, you’re on your way to having chips. Grab those, some olive oil cooking spray (or your favorite cooking spray), and some coarse salt.
I tested both corn tortillas and flour tortillas and while both come out great, the corn tortillas turn out slightly crispier so I prefer them.
In the Air Fryer
- STEP ONE– Slice the tortillas into 6-8 pieces depending on the size tortilla you have. I use a pizza cutter to make it really easy.
- STEP TWO– Spray the tortillas lightly with cooking spray, then sprinkle with salt.
- STEP THREE– Lay the tortillas into the air fryer basket, without letting them overlap, and cook for 3 minutes at 350 degrees. Flip them over, give them another light spray, add more salt (if you think they need it – the amount of salt is a personal preference), and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- STEP FOUR – Remove from the basket and they will continue to crisp as they cool. Once they have cooled, you’re ready to start dipping.
Air fryers do vary from brand to brand. Some require pre-heating, mine does not. Keep an eye on yours – it may take more or less time to crisp up the chips.
In the Oven
- STEP ONE– Preheat oven to 350 degrees and slice the tortillas into 6-8 pieces depending on the size tortilla you have. Again, I use a pizza cutter.
- STEP TWO– Lay the sliced tortillas onto a foil lined baking sheet in a single layer. Spray lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt.
- STEP THREE – Bake for 7 minutes, remove the pan, flip the chips, spray, salt (if desired), and bake for another 5 minutes or until crisp.
If you want to add another layer of flavor, squeeze some lime juice over the chips. Want to spice them up? Sprinkle on some cajun seasoning, chili powder or cayenne pepper. Want to sweeten them up? Sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar instead of salt.
How to store them
Homemade tortilla chips will stay fresh for up to two weeks if you store them in an airtight container or a zip top bag at room temperature. Do not freeze or refrigerate. If they lose their crisp, you can put them back into the air fryer for a couple of minutes to crisp them back up.
What to serve with tortilla chips
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
This post first appeared on Yellow Bliss Road