This creamy, classic coleslaw tastes just like the one you’ll find at Cracker Barrel. A super easy side dish that goes great at summer BBQs.
I recently made this coleslaw (is it cole slaw or coleslaw?…I think it’s one word but my eyes like two better) for Rosie’s birthday party with BBQ chicken made in the slow cooker. We piled the coleslaw on top and it made great sandwiches.
Do you prefer vinegar based or mayo based slaw? It just depends on my mood, because I like both. If you like the Cracker Barrel version, you’ll love this one.
It also makes a great side dish with slow cooker sloppy joes.
Cracker Barrel Coleslaw Ingredients
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Shredded Cole Slaw Mix – Either buy the pre-shredded slaw mix (easy) or buy cabbage, carrots, and red cabbage and shred it yourself.
- Miracle Whip – Or you can use mayo, but I used Miracle Whip.
- Celery Seed
- Salt & Pepper
- White Vinegar
- Milk – I used 2%
- Lemon Juice
Equipment you’ll need
How to make Cracker Barrel Coleslaw
Do you know how easy it is to make coleslaw? SO EASY.
- First, if you’re looking for a shortcut like me, buy the bag of shredded coleslaw mix. If not, shred your own cabbage, carrots, and red cabbage thinly (or use a mandoline).
- Next, add in the rest of the listed ingredients and stir to combine.
- Finally, let chill for at least 3 hours in the fridge to let the flavors come together.
- Give it a toss when you’re ready to serve and enjoy!
Why does coleslaw go watery?
Because cabbage releases water, sometimes you end up with watery coleslaw.
To prevent that from happening, take a little extra time to sweat out your cabbage. Put it in a colander, over a bowl, add salt, mix, and let it sit for at least an hour.
It will weep out excess water that you can press out with paper towel. Then you’re ready to make coleslaw.
How long can I keep coleslaw in the fridge?
Keep coleslaw in the fridge for 3-5 days safely. Don’t let it sit out for more than 2 hours!
How far ahead can you make coleslaw?
I know when you’re prepping for a BBQ or get-together, you usually like to make as much as you can ahead of time, but coleslaw is one of those dishes that are best when made and served within 24 hours.
Otherwise, you risk it getting watery and limp.
What to serve with it
Need more BBQ side dishes? Try these:
- Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
- Feta & Artichoke Pasta Salad
- Southern Homestyle Mac & Cheese
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: