Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches (aka Crack Chicken) are an easy hit! Chicken, cream cheese, and ranch seasoning cook together in the crockpot before getting mixed with cheddar, bacon, and scallions and then piled onto soft buns.
Crockpot Crack Chicken
You may have heard recipes like this referred to as slow cooker crack chicken and I can only assume it’s because of how wildly addicting it is. In the best way!
It’s made with slow cooked shredded chicken seasoned with ranch mix and coated in a gloriously creamy cheesy sauce topped with bacon crumbles and even more cheese. We load it onto a bun for a mouthwatering creamy chicken sandwich.
Similar to slow cooker buffalo chicken dip if you ask me!
All you need is 5 minutes of prep time and the crockpot does the rest until it’s time to shred the chicken and add the bacon and extra cheese. We’re basically turning the popular crack dip into a complete meal!
Slow cooker chicken bacon ranch sandwiches are the best kind of comfort food, great for busy weeknights, game day parties, and casual dinners.
Why you’ll love Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches
Family-friendly – You can easily double this recipe to serve a crowd or larger family. You won’t hear any complaints about dinner when these sandwiches are on the table.
Versatile – Just as good on chilly evenings as it is for summer days. That’s the great thing about a crockpot, it makes sense all year round.
Delicious! The classic chicken, cheese, and bacon combo is only made better with ranch seasoning mix. I haven’t met an adult or kid who doesn’t love this stuff.
Equipment you’ll need
- Slow Cooker – This 6-quart slow cooker has been my go-to for years. I love that it switches itself to WARM after the designated cook time. Perfect for long days.
- Cheese Grater – HIGHLY recommend grating your cheese off the block in all recipes. This makes it a breeze.
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Chicken – 1-2 lbs of boneless skinless breasts are enough for this recipe. The larger the piece, the longer it’ll take to cook, but you don’t want them too thin either, or they’ll end up dry and overcooked.
- Cream cheese – Cut a block of cream cheese into cubes. It might be helpful to bring it to room temperature first so that it melts easily and a bit faster. Avoid using the spreadable cream cheese that comes in a container, it contains more water and will make the slow cooker chicken bacon ranch sandwiches loose and runny.
- Ranch seasoning – I always keep a blend of homemade ranch seasoning on hand because I use it in a ton of recipes like bacon ranch pasta salad, crockpot creamy ranch pork chops, and one dish ranch chicken and veggie bake.
- Cheddar cheese – A good sharp cheddar freshly grated will not only add a wonderful sharp flavor to cut through the creaminess but it will also add to the melty consistency.
- Bacon – A smoky salty addition that always pairs well with chicken and cheese! You’ll need to cook your bacon separately as it won’t crisp up as nicely in the slow cooker. Always drain the excess grease before adding it to the pot.
- Scallions – Add a pop of green and a light pungent flavor to brighten the dish.
- Buns – Use any burger bun, sandwich roll, brioche bun, or even Hawaiian roll for sliders.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches
- Step One: Add chicken breasts to the bottom of the crockpot and sprinkle ranch seasoning overtop followed by the cubed cream cheese.
- Step Two: Cover the pot with the lid and cook on either LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Step Three: Once the chicken is cooked through (chicken internal temperature, it should read 165 degrees F), stir the contents of the pot to ensure everything is evenly dispersed. Then use two forks and use them to pull apart each chicken breast until it is fully shredded.
- Step Four: Stir in the crumbled bacon, scallion, and 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Cover it and let the cheese melt for 10 minutes. When you’re ready to serve it, pile it onto sandwich buns and enjoy!
What to serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches
While I love this as sandwiches it is also great over pasta like do with slow cooker creamy Italian chicken. Garlic mashed potatoes, air fryer baked potatoes, or rice are other great options. Then, throw together a side salad and call it a day.
Serve it as a dip with a raw veggie platter and some crackers and enjoy it as an appetizer.
For brunch or lunch, you could switch up the buns for croissants or wrap the chicken bacon ranch filling in a tortilla shell instead.
Heck, you could eat a bowl of this on its own and no one would think otherwise. As good as it is, it’s also low-carb and keto-friendly, so have at it!
Recipe Tips 🧀 🥓
- Add a bit of hot sauce or diced jalapenos for a kick.
- Swap the cheddar for any cheese you prefer. Colby jack is an excellent substitute.
- If you have the time, I recommend cooking it on low for 6 hours. It’s less likely to overcook that way, especially if you keep your eye on it once in a while.
- Use real bacon! For a hands-free, mess-free way to cook it, I always like to cook bacon in the oven.
How to reheat and store Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches
How to store leftovers
Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container. If keeping it out for a while, make sure to keep it for no longer than 2 hours on the warm function. Otherwise, transfer it to the fridge as it contains a lot of dairy that shouldn’t be kept out for too long.
How long with crockpot crack chicken last in the fridge?
If you’re lucky enough to have any left, it’ll be good for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze crack chicken?
You can! If you’re making a lot for meal prep or you just have a lot of leftovers, freeze it for up to 1 month.
How to reheat slow cooker crack chicken?
If you’re not reheating a ton, just pop it in the microwave. If you have a good amount, you can use the slow cooker or the stovetop to heat it through.
Can I make this with chicken thighs instead?
Definitely. Thighs are dark meat and have a ton of flavor and moisture. They are a bit fattier so the slow cooker is ideal for cooking them.
Can you cook chicken in a slow cooker for 2 hours?
Technically yes, however, I always recommend cooking it low and slow. If you want it cooked in two hours, you may need to look for breasts that aren’t quite so thick, so they don’t take as long.
If it’s a shortcut you want, you can use leftover shredded chicken or even canned chicken. Mix all the ingredients together and just heat it until it’s warmed through.
Should the chicken be covered in liquid in the slow cooker?
The meat will release its own liquid and as the cream cheese melts, it will also act as a liquid. As tempted as you might be to add a bit of broth, you don’t need to. As long as you’re keeping an eye on it, and stirring it occasionally, you will be fine.
Need more crockpot sandwich recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of crockpot recipes.