Did you know that you can make the best baked potatoes in the air fryer? Easy Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are perfectly fluffy and tender on the inside with a crispy skin on the outside. Dress them up with toppings or keep it simple with butter and salt & pepper.
I’m a BIG fan of baked potatoes. If I have fast food, it’s usually a bacon and cheddar potato from Wendy’s.
Remember when Arby’s had loaded baked potatoes? I think they discontinued them while I was pregnant & I nearly cried.
I rarely made them at home because it’s a bit time consuming in the oven and my old microwave used to short out after 5 minutes. I have a new one now, but it’s still ingrained in my head that 5 minutes is the max lol
Now that I make them in the air fryer, my baked potato world has opened back up! I will never attempt to make them in the microwave or even the oven, ever again.
Making them in the air fryer gives you a crispy, salty skin with a fluffy and tender inside that is just waiting for toppings.
Equipment you’ll need
- Air Fryer – I just ordered this one & have yet to use it but have only heard great things. I can’t even find my old one to link.
- Tongs – I use my tongs for everything but they are great for picking up hot potatoes.
- Olive Oil Mister – For spraying the potatoes down.
Ingredients you’ll need
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- Potatoes – I use Russets.
- Olive Oil – Use a high quality extra virgin olive oil for the best taste.
- Kosher Salt – Kosher salt has larger flakes so it’s easier to work with & less additives.
How to air fry a baked potato
- STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer at 375° F while you’re prepping the potatoes.
- STEP TWO: Scrub each potato & thoroughly dry. Poke a couple holes in each potato with a fork and then rub with olive oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- STEP THREE: Place the potatoes into the air fryer, making sure they’re not touching, and cook for 35 minutes or until fork tender.
- STEP FOUR: Use tongs to transfer the hot potatoes from the air fryer to a plate. Carefully slice each open with a knife and load with toppings – butter, sour cream, black pepper, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, chives…
Can you put aluminum foil in the air fryer?
You can, if it’s a small piece, but I’m not sure why you would want to. Wrapping potatoes in foil doesn’t make them cook faster.
If you want to line your air fryer with something for easier clean up, I highly recommend these liners.
Do I need to poke holes in the potatoes?
Yes, you should. It allows steam to escape.
How many can I cook at once?
How many potatoes you can fit in your basket will depend on the size of your air fryer. You want to make sure they have enough space and aren’t over crowded so the air can properly circulate.
For a standard size air fryer (around 5 quart), I would recommend 3-4 at once.
How long do I need to cook them?
Potatoes vary greatly in size so cooking times will need to be adjusted, but it will generally take between 30-40 minutes to cook in the air fryer at 375 degrees.
Can I freeze a baked potato?
You can freeze a baked potato. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap then freeze. Once frozen, move to a freezer bag and they will keep up to a year.
You can’t freeze a raw potato, but you can freeze a baked one, so this is a great way to use up any that will otherwise get wasted.
Air Fried Baked Potatoes
Which type of potato should I use?
I believe Russets (sometimes called Idaho potatoes) make the best baked potatoes for a few reasons.
First, they’re oblong so they’re the perfect size & shape for loading up.
Second, they have a thick skin which gets perfectly crisp.
Third, they have a high starch content so they bake up light and fluffy on the inside.
You can also air fry red or yellow potatoes, but because they’re smaller, you’ll have to adjust cooking time.
Baked Potato Toppings 🥔
Besides the crispy skin and fluffy insides, the beauty of a baked potato is how delicious they are when you load them up with toppings.
- Sour Cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded Cheese (I like cheddar)
- Crumbled crispy bacon (make it in the oven!)
- Green onions or chives (not my favorite, but they do look pretty lol)
Need more air fryer recipes? Try these:
Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Sandwich (Chick-Fil-A Copycat)
Need more ways to cook potatoes? Try these:
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: