These Easy Oven Roasted potatoes are the perfect crispy on the outside tender on the inside bite you want in any roasted veggie. Made with a few ingredients, delicious herbs, and baked to a golden brown, this oven-roasted potato recipe will be ready in under an hour.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Potatoes are an interesting food. It really is not the most exciting of root vegetables but what is incredible is how versatile they are when cooked, baked, or fried the right way.
This roasted potatoes recipe is no exception. In fact, oven-roasted potatoes is one of the best ways to cook potatoes. Who doesn’t love those crispy bits on the edges and that soft and tender inside?!
With the addition of herbs such as basil, oregano and dill to name a few, these roasted potatoes are fancy enough to serve for special occasions and simple enough to make for a weeknight meal.
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Dried basil
- Dried marjoram
- Dried dill weed
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Dried parsley
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Small(ish) potatoes skins on, cubed
HOW TO ROAST POTATOES
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with foil or silicone mat and set aside.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, combine oil, garlic, basil, marjoram, dill weed, thyme, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, and salt, making sure all potato cubes are coated evenly.
STEP THREE: Place potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast until browned on all sides.
HOW LONG TO ROAST POTATOES?
You will notice that this recipe calls for a higher temperature than many other roasted potato recipes.
The lower the temperature, the longer the potatoes take to roast but also more chance for them to get soggy!
The ideal time is approx 30 minutes at a high temp.
WHAT TEMPERATURE DO I USE FOR OVEN ROASTED POTATOES?
As stated above, this recipe requires a high temp. 475 degrees is optimal for a shorter roast time. This allows for quick high heat to create that beautiful outer crust.
WHAT GOES WITH ROASTED POTATOES?
What doesn’t?! These flavorful crispy potatoes can be served as a side to any beef, fish or poultry dish. They can also substitute french fries at any time.
If you have any leftovers the next day, reheat them on the stove to make a hash or a breakfast side.
WHY AREN’T MY ROASTED POTATOES CRISPY?
A great way to combat this right from the start is to soak your potatoes in an ice water bath for up to 2 hours before baking.
The irony is you’ll need to get as much of the moisture out of the potatoes before baking. Even if you don’t soak them.
Pat dry with a paper towel soaking up as much moisture as possible, before seasoning and baking.
It’s also important to remember high heat for roasting and laying them in a single layer so every piece gets roasted evenly.
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES ARE BEST FOR ROASTING?
Potatoes with lower starch and higher sugar content will achieve a crispy exterior.
All-purpose white potatoes or baby potatoes are a great choice.
Russet potatoes, Yukon Gold and red potatoes will all work nicely as well, each with their own level of crispiness.
NEED MORE WAYS TO USE POTATOES? TRY THESE:
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU:
- Cutting Board – This is my favorite. It’s pretty.
- Chef Knife – It’s so much nicer to chop potatoes when you have a good knife.
- Peeler – To easily peel the potatoes.
- Baking Sheet – Use a baking sheet with a lip so the potatoes don’t slide off.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- I used 6 smallish potatoes skins on, cubed
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, garlic, basil, marjoram, dill weed, thyme, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Stir in potatoes until evenly coated. Place potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, turning occasionally to brown on all sides.
Originally published March 3, 2010