Easy air fryer edamame makes a simple snack or appetizer. Made in just 15 minutes from fresh or frozen edamame, this side dish can be seasoned any way you like.
Air Fryer Roasted Edamame
What is edamame?
Edamame are immature soybeans that are picked while still young and green. They are soft and edible unlike the mature soybeans that are used to make tofu and soy milk.
Japanese for “bean on a branch” edamame is a popular appetizer at Japanese restaurants and widely used in east Asian cuisine.
Because it provides soy protein with 6 g of fat per serving, it is a good choice for vegans, vegetarians, or anyone looking for a low-cholesterol snack.
Why you’ll love this Edamame Recipe
Great Nutritious Snack – Shelled edamame can be seasoned with whatever you like and served in place of or alongside nuts and chips on a snack tray.
Delicious Air Fryer Recipe – This tasty air fryer snack takes just minutes to make.
Quick Appetizer – Whether you’re serving it as an appetizer or using the beans in a stir fry or another dish, it comes together really quickly.
Iowa Soybean Farming
If you follow on Instagram, you know I recently traveled to Iowa to visit Struthers Farm with Best Food Facts to learn about soybean farming.
I learned that 80% of soybeans are meal and 20% is oil.
Of that 80%, 97% of U.S. soybean meal is used to feed poultry and livestock and the other 3% is used in food products like protein alternatives (tofu, tempeh, etc.) and soymilk.
Soyfoods for Healthy Lifestyles
I learned that soy proteins provide high quality protein and are high in fiber, folate, and phosphorus.
In women, the protein and isoflavones found in soy may alleviate hot flash frequency and decrease the risk of other hormone dependent cancers. Read more about women’s soy health here.
In men, contrary to some things I had heard, studies have found no effect on estrogen levels and there is even speculative evidence that soyfoods reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer. Read more about men and soy health here.
Equipment you’ll need
- Air Fryer – I use a 5.8 quart air fryer. It is large enough to make most anything my family of four needs.
- Large Bowl – love that it is dishwasher safe.
- Tongs – I use tongs to toss the edamame in seasonings as well as to handle it when its hot from the air fryer.
Ingredients you’ll need
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
- EDAMAME – Either fresh whole edamame or frozen can be used. I like to use frozen because it is easy to find in the frozen vegetable section of the market. Fresh can be trickier to find.
- OIL – I used olive oil but you can use vegetable (soybean!) oil or even sesame oil.
- SEASONINGS – I used onion powder, sea salt, and lemon pepper on this batch.
How to make this air fryer edamame recipe
- STEP ONE: First, to a large bowl, add the frozen edamame, drizzle with oil and season. Use tongs to toss together and evenly distribute.
- STEP TWO: Next, pour the seasoned edamame into the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- STEP THREE: Finally, cook for 6 minutes at 400°, shake the basket, and then cook another 6 minutes.
More Seasoning Options
These soy beans are a great canvas for a lot of flavor combos. Some other ideas:
- Fresh lemon juice
- Onion salt
- Chili powder or red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Sesame oil or a splash of soy sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh minced garlic or garlic powder
How to eat edamame
Pop the beans out of the pods to enjoy. They can be eaten cold or warm.
How long is edamame good for after cooking?
4-5 days when stored in the fridge.
Are edamame good for you?
Not only is edamame heart healthy, these little beans are high in antioxidants, and also provide vitamin K and healthy fiber. Soy protein has been shown to directly lower blood cholesterol levels. Learn more about this wonderful nutritious snack and the benefits here.
Do you eat edamame pods?
No. Once cooked (air fried in this case), the green soybeans should be popped out of the pod to be eaten. They have a soft, creamy texture similar to a lima bean or pea, but the actual pod isn’t edible.
Need more air fryer recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of air fryer recipes.
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: