Easy air fryer mozzarella sticks are a cheesy, gooey appetizer or snack made with just six everyday ingredients. A homemade cheese stick that is breaded and air fried to crispy, crunchy perfection and filled with melty cheese. Perfect for dipping in marinara or ranch.
Easy Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
My love of gooey mozzarella sticks runs deep. When I was little, I remember ordering cheese sticks at restaurants as my main course.
Now, I don’t do any deep frying in my kitchen but I wanted to make some homemade mozzarella sticks. Enter the air fryer.
Air frying this cheesy goodness allows for the crispy, deep fried texture without all the excess grease.
Of course picking up a pack of frozen store bought cheese sticks is an option but I wanted homemade. Plus, I always have cheese sticks on hand in the fridge and breadcrumbs in the cupboard, so no special trip to the freezer department is needed.
Try them for your next party or just the next time you’re craving cheesy deliciousness!
If you are new to air frying, while you’re at it, you have to try making baked potatoes in the air fryer. It creates that perfect restaurant quality potato with crispy skin and fluffy potato center. Or learn how to make this copycat Taco Bell quesadilla!
Why You’ll Love Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Whole Family Will Love It – This is a family friendly recipe that the whole crew will enjoy. An easy, 5-star rating recipe that you will want to make over and over again.
Crispy Shell – The panko breadcrumb mixture offers the ultimate crunch with a warm melted cheese center. They taste just as good as deep-fried mozzarella sticks.
Fun Recipe – One of the easiest recipes. These mozza sticks take minimal effort and cook quickly. The hardest part is waiting for the cheese to freeze up before you toss in the air fryer basket.
Equipment you’ll need
- Air Fryer – I’ve had this 5.8 quart air fryer for years and still recommend it.
- Tongs – I like to use tongs to keep my hands clean.
- Air Fryer Liners – I like to use parchment paper liners in my air fryer basket for easy cleanup. Make sure you pick the right shape/size for your air fryer.
- Oil Mister – For spritzing the cheese sticks before you air fry them.
Ingredients for homemade air fryer mozzarella sticks
Below is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to gather to make this recipe. Scroll all the way down for the full recipe card.
Mozzarella Sticks – We always have mozzarella string cheese on hand in the fridge for snacks. Whole milk or low-moisture cheese sticks work, but I prefer whole milk for the most gooey cheese.
Panko – I love panko breadcrumbs for the extra crunchy texture but you can also use Italian breadcrumbs.
Seasonings – Garlic powder and salt to season the panko. If you’re using pre-seasoned breadcrumbs, you’ll want to adjust.
Egg – A beaten egg will help act as the glue to hold the breadcrumbs onto the cheese stick.
Flour – A beaten egg will help act as the glue to hold the breadcrumbs onto the cheese stick.
Olive Oil Spray – You’ll need an olive oil mister or cooking spray.
How to make cheese sticks in the air fryer
- STEP ONE: To prep, cut four mozzarella sticks in half to make 8 sticks and prep three bowls, one with the seasoned panko, the second bowl with a beaten egg, and the third with flour. Make an assembly line.
- STEP TWO: First up, roll the mozzarella sticks in flour, then dip in egg, turning to cover all sides. Place into the panko mixture, pressing the panko firmly onto the cheese. Repeat for all 8 sticks and then place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Move the prepped cheese sticks to the freezer for 15 minutes.
- STEP THREE: Place the frozen cheese sticks to the preheated air fryer in a single layer. Spritz with oil and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown (air fryers vary so yours may take up to 6-8 minutes).
- STEP FOUR: Serve with dipping sauces & enjoy!
🧀 Tips & Suggestions
- Don’t skip preheating the air fryer. This is going to help allow the panko bread crumbs to really crisp up and create that crunchy texture.
- Don’t skip the freezing step either. This is important or the cheese will become too melty and leak out of the crust.
- You can use regular or low fat cheese sticks. Either type will work for the recipe, but I recommend regular.
- Use an oil mister to spritz the cheese sticks as it will help allow the panko bread crumb coating to become golden brown. If you don’t spritz, they will not become golden.
- Make sure to do a single layer in the air fryer or you will not get an even cook. The hot air needs to circulate all around each of the cheese sticks.
- If you want to spice them up, try adding some chili powder or cajun seasoning to the breadcrumb mixture.
What to serve with them
How to store leftovers
If you don’t eat all the cheese sticks, place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge. The texture will soften a bit, but they will still taste good.
How long will mozzarella sticks last in the fridge?
1-2 days in the fridge. You can eat them cold or warm them up.
Can I freeze them?
Yes, you can freeze these cheese sticks before you air fry them. Prep them as directed and then flash freeze them. Once the breading is frozen, place the frozen sticks in a freezer bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
When ready to enjoy, take them from the freezer to the air fryer and cook as directed, adding an additional minute or two until all the way cooked through.
I do not recommend freezing once they’ve already been fried.
How to reheat them
For best results, I recommend heating them up in the oven or air fryer, to keep the breading crispy.
They’ll likely get soggy in the microwave…but they’ll still taste good! 15-20 seconds is all they’ll need. Heating too long can cause cheese to bubble out so watch closely.
How long do you air fry mozzarella sticks?
5 minutes is all they should need, but cooking time will depend on your air fryer. Some may need 6-8 minutes.
Should I freeze mozzarella sticks before air frying?
Yes, freezing the mozzarella sticks once breaded helps ensure the cheese will not melt out when you cook them. Otherwise, the cheese will ooze right out.
Why do my mozzarella sticks always explode?
Overcooking the cheese sticks is the cause of them exploding. Make sure to keep an eye as they are cooking in your air fryer basket or air fryer trays. If you do a tray place on the middle rack of your air fryer.
Need more air fryer recipes? Try these:
Click here for my entire collection of air fryer recipes.
Need more cheesy recipes? Try these:
Connect with Persnickety Plates!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Originally published February 10, 2010