Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken is a super easy, super comforting, super flavorful dinner! Because it’s made in the crockpot, there is very little hands-on time. Let the slow cooker do the work and cook your meat and potatoes at the same time.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
You’ll start this chicken off on the stove by pan searing it. Do you have to sear chicken before putting it in the slow cooker? No, but I recommend it for a few reasons. First, it locks in moisture which leads to deeper flavor. Second, it looks better! Seared chicken gets that beautiful, brown skin on it. Slow cooker dishes are known for being a bit blah looking, but this helps pretty it up. Finally, searing it first helps to speed up the cook time.
Below is a summary of the ingredients needed, some helpful information, and possible substitutions. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full recipe with amounts and directions.
CHICKEN – Bone-in chicken thighs are used in this recipe. Because of the higher fat content, thighs (dark meat) are less likely to dry out.
SEASONINGS – You’ll need garlic salt, paprika, and pepper.
GARLIC – Fresh cloves of garlic are best (you can buy them peeled!), but minced garlic packed in oil works as well.
OIL – Extra virgin olive oil is my preference.
POTATOES – Baby potatoes are easy to work with but you can also cube a russet. I prefer to use baby red skins and/or gold potatoes.
PARMESAN CHEESE – Shredded or shaved parmesan cheese will melt best, but grated will work as well.
TOOLS FOUND ON AMAZON TO HELP YOU
- Slow Cooker – This is a slow cooker recipe so obviously you’ll need a slow cooker. I have had this “set it & forget it” model for years and love that it switches itself over to WARM after the designated cooking time. It is helpful for long days at the office.
- Tongs – I use tongs for everything lately but they’re especially nice for handling raw meat so you keep your hands clean.
- Skillet – You will pan sear the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker to get the skin crisp.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN
STEP ONE: You’ll start by seasoning the chicken then pan searing it to get a crisp skin. This gives the chicken great color and locks in moisture.
STEP TWO: Halve or quarter the potatoes, lay them into the bottom of the slow cooker and toss with seasoning.
STEP THREE: Layer the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes, cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
STEP FOUR: Right before serving, sprinkle on the parmesan cheese, cover and let melt, and the serve!
IS IT OK TO PUT RAW CHICKEN IN THE SLOW COOKER
Yes, raw chicken is what a slow cooker is intended for. Now if you asked if you can put frozen chicken in the slow cooker I would tell you no. A slow cooker cooks…slow. When you start from frozen, the meat doesn’t come up to a safe temperature quick enough, leaving room for bacteria to fester. That said, plenty of people will tell it is fine, but I personally only cook from raw.
HOW DO YOU SLOW COOK CHICKEN WITHOUT DRYING IT OUT
This recipe uses chicken thighs which have more fat content and are less likely to dry out than chicken breasts. Cooking on LOW also helps to prevent the chicken from drying out – 5 hours on LOW is good for thighs.
HOW TO STORE IT
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
CAN YOU FREEZE IT
You can freeze cooked chicken and potatoes. If they are properly stored in an airtight freezer container, they will keep for up to 3 months. That said, I find frozen potatoes often have a texture change after being frozen and thawed so they’re not my favorite.
NEED MORE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Crockpot Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Parmesan with Tortellini
- Crockpot Chicken & Rice
- Crockpot Chicken Alfredo
- Crockpot Honey Bourbon Chicken
Click here for my entire collection of slow cooker recipes.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potatoes
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound baby potatoes halved
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- parsley for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic salt, paprika, and pepper together.
- Sprinkle half of the seasoning mixture on the chicken thighs.
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat add in 1 tablespoon oil and then place the chicken thighs skin down and sear for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Combine the remaining seasoning mix with the minced garlic and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Halve or quarter your baby potatoes depending on size.
- Toss the potatoes with the seasoning mix and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add the chicken on top of the potatoes.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Right before serving sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Top with parsley for a pop of color if you like.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying/pasting and/or screenshots of full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected.