The other day I couldn’t decide which I wanted more – a cookie or a brownie. Then I decided I wanted to take a stab at combining them. Brookies are not my original idea. Lots of people/bloggers have done them. But, I knew I wanted to try and I didn’t want to follow a recipe.
Winging it can be dangerous for me. I didn’t want a recipe fail when I needed this cookie/brownie combo in my life. My pregnancy cravings haven’t been very strong – or maybe they have but I kinda operate on cravings normally, so maybe they’re just not stronger than usual. I had high hopes for this combo and it didn’t fail me. The cookie and brownie stayed moist while being thick and dense. I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder so it’s a dark chocolate chocolate chip brownie topped with a chocolate chip cookie. I’ll bet it’s even better with ice cream on top…
Luckily it only makes an 8 x 8 pan because there’s a good chance I’ll be eating it by myself. I need to settle down. I’m seeing numbers on the scale that I never thought I’d see but I don’t even really care.
Also, see those straws ^^ I won a giveaway from PuppyCatCrafts and got a pack of cute colors. I feel pretty official as a food blogger now that I’ve included them in a picture. Expect to be seeing more of them.
Brownies + Cookies = BROOKIES!
- For the brownie portion
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder I used Hershey's Special Dark
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips Ghirardelli baking chips, per usual
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the chocolate chip cookie portion
- 1/4 cup 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips again, Ghirardelli baking chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- First, make the brownie layer.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips. Mix it up (I use a spatula) so it is well combined.
- In a measuring cup, add in the oil then eggs, and vanilla. Mix up the wet ingredients with a fork.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with the spatula until just combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared 8 x 8 pan.
- Now, make the cookie portion.
- In a medium bowl, add the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix with a fork until fully combined.
- Add in the beaten egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips. Mix until combined, making sure all dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Use your hands to flatten pieces of the dough and lay on top of the brownie layer. Fit the pieces together, like a puzzle, until you have a fairly even layer covering the brownie batter.
- Bake for at least 30-35 minutes then check on it. You want the cookie layer to get golden brown, but not burn, while cooking all the way through. After 35 minutes I turned my oven down to 325 then let it bake another 10 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean (as long as you don't hit a chocolate chip!).
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes (more like 20 to be safe, or put it in the fridge to speed it along) before attempting to cut it into bars.
Makes an 8x8 pan so depending on how generous you cut them, you should have at least 9 brookies.