It’s Wednesday! Even thought it’s a short week, I’m already tired. That long, relaxing weekend took a lot out of me.
I’ve never eaten Key Lime Pie. Even after making this pie, I’ve never eaten it. A friend of ours asked me to make his wife (one of my besties) a pie for Mother’s Day. I did some googling and ended up trying this recipe. They tell me it was good. Hopefully they weren’t just humoring me. I think it’s pretty.
It took all my willpower to not cut this up to take pictures before he came to pick it up. I did good.
Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie with a homemade graham cracker crust.
Servings 9 " pie
- For the filling
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 heaping Tablespoon grated lime zest this was 5 limes for me
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice this was 6 limes for me
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz
- tiny pinch salt
- For the crust
- 8 graham crackers broken into pieces
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- Zest your limes (make sure you only take the green and don't go down to the white, that part is bitter). It took 5 small limes for me to get a heaping tablespoon.
- Juice those same limes you just zested to get a 1/2 cup of lime juice. That took 6 small limes for me.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together for about 2 minutes. The mixture should be yellow-green and frothy.
- Whisk in the condensed milk until smooth then whisk in the lime juice and pinch of salt until fully incorporated. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Break up your graham crackers and put into the food processor. Pulse until you have fine crumbs.
- Pour in the melted butter, sugar, and pinch of salt. Pulse about 6 times until it comes together and your mixture looks like wet sand.
- Pour the graham cracker mixture into a 9" pie plate and press into an even layer. I used the bottom of a measuring cup to help press it down evenly.
- Bake the crust for 13-16 minutes then remove.
- Pour your lime filling into the warm crust and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about an hour before you move it to the fridge. Once it's cool, let it chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to fully set. I covered mine and let it sit over night.
- When ready to serve, I used a can of Redi-Whip to decorate/garnish the outer edge of the crust.
Recipe from Pook's Pantry
Key Lime Pie
Amount Per Serving (0 g)
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrates 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 0g 0%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.