These Blueberry Muffins have a tender, buttermilk crumb, are full of blueberry flavor, and are topped with a crunchy sugary topping. Start your day off right with a batch of the best blueberry muffins!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
You need just NINE everyday ingredients to make this delicious blueberry muffin recipe.
- Blueberries – You can use fresh or frozen, whichever you have on hand.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar.
- Flour – All purpose flour. I haven’t tested these with other varieties yet.
- Baking Soda – For rise, to make the muffins light & fluffy.
- Salt – For balance.
- Egg – One large egg.
- Buttermilk – If you don’t have buttermilk, I have a hack for you below.
- Butter – I use unsalted – melted & cooled.
- Turbinado Sugar – If you don’t have turbinado (“sugar in the raw”) sugar, you can substitute brown sugar.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS FROM SCRATCH
First, mix your fresh or frozen blueberries with 1/2 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
Then, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and remaining sugar.
Next, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter in another small bowl.
Then, make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
Finally, fold in the blueberries gently.
Portion out the batter into a 12-well muffin tin.
Sprinkle the top of each muffin with turbinado sugar.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
CAN BLUEBERRY MUFFINS BE FROZEN
Yes, blueberry muffins can be frozen! This recipe makes a small batch (12 muffins), but if you need to freeze them, muffins freeze beautifully and can last 2-3 months in the freezer.
ARE MUFFINS HEALTHY
Some muffins are healthy! These homemade blueberry muffins have approximately 174 calories per muffin. But they have fruit so….they’re good for you, right?? Right…
HOW TO MAKE MUFFINS MOIST
Using buttermilk in these easy blueberry muffins helps to make a really moist crumb.
CAN YOU USE FROZEN BLUEBERRIES IN MUFFINS
You can use frozen or fresh blueberries in these muffins. I almost always have frozen blueberries on hand in my freezer – they’re often cheaper than fresh and because they’re frozen at the peak of freshness, you don’t have to wait for them to be in season.
HOW LONG TO BAKE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Blueberry muffins bake up rather quickly – just 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
WHAT CAN I USE IF I DON’T HAVE BUTTERMILK
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make some with this hack – to a 1 cup measuring cup, add 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice then add milk to the 1 cup mark. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes, until it curdles. That’s it – buttermilk!
NEED MORE WAYS TO USE BLUEBERRIES? TRY THESE:
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & I’ll share it in my stories!
HOW TO MAKE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with wrappers. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss together the blueberries with 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and remaining sugar (1/4 cup).
- In another small bowl, add the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter and whisk together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until mixed.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter evenly between the 12 muffin wells. Sprinkle the top of each with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy!
This post first appeared on Bakerish.