Chocolate Cupcakes Filled with Vanilla Buttercream are delicious, moist chocolate cupcakes topped stuffed and topped with a fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting.
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES FILLED WITH VANILLA BUTTERCREAM
This is really a piggyback post from my Monkey Cupcakes. These were made out of the same batch, I just wanted to share both. Aren’t they pretty? I think I used every type of sprinkle I had in the house. I even broke out my new star sprinkles, which are like gold to me.
Chocolate Cupcakes Filled with Vanilla ButtercreamPrint Pin Rate
Servings: 10 cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes
- 1.5 sticks salted butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Line your cupcake pans with liners and set aside (I made 24 minis & 10 full size).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt with a whisk.
- Add the eggs, oil, vanilla and milk and mix until combined. It will be very thick at this point.
- I switched to a wooden spoon and added the hot water. Mix until fully incorporated. Now batter will be thin.
- Fill the liners about 3/4 full and bake for full size - 12-15 minutes, minis - around 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before you start decorating.
For the Buttercream
- Make sure you start with softened butter. I used my stand mixer but a hand mixer will work fine, too.
- With the paddle attachment, whip the butter until it starts to get smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
- If you use UNsalted butter, you'll want to add a pinch of salt. I started with salted butter so there's no need.
- To fill/decorate
- Once cooled, core out the center of your cupcakes. I used some type of apple corer to do this (I'm not exactly sure what it's intended use is, I just found it in my drawer & it worked perfectly).
- Using a piping bag (or ziploc bag with a tip), fill the center of the cupcake with some frosting then replace the top. Frost the top with the buttercream - I did a simple swirl. Then sprinkle away. Some I smushed into sprinkles, some I actually spinkled.
Or maybe you’ll like…