Monkey Cupcakes are such a cute dessert idea, you may not want to eat them! These delicious homemade chocolate cupcakes are made with chocolate sanding sugar and vanilla wafer ears! Perfect for a monkey themed birthday party!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
Our nephew had his 3rd birthday party on Saturday and I used that as my excuse to bake them.
I used the same chocolate cupcake recipe I used in the pandas but this time, I filled the centers with fluffy buttercream. I’ve never said this before, but I think I found an amazing buttercream I like.
Most recipes call for unsalted butter but I like to use salted to balance the sugar.
Total personal preference.
You could also make this with a box cake mix & store bought frosting.
Again, up to you.
Things I learned while making these easy cupcakes:
- Chocolate Sanding Sugar is not super easy to find. I had to go to three Michaels before I found it. I recommend ordering it on Amazon.
- Cutting mini Nilla wafers in half is not easy to do without crushing them. Using a butter knife & even pressure ended up working best for me.
SUPPLIES YOU’LL NEED FOR DECORATING MONKEY CUPCAKES:
- Mini Nilla wafers
- Chocolate Sanding Sugar – I had to try 3 Michaels before I found this so call first if you’re not ordering it
- Candy Eyeballs – I actually think they’re kinda creepy as they come, so I flip them upside down & use black gel icing to make pupils.
- Black gel icing – You could also use melted chocolate, if you prefer.
- Piping bag & tip – Or you could just frost them with a knife – you’re going to cover the frosting with the sanding sugar so it doesn’t need to be perfect, but it does need to be thick enough for you to be able to stick the Nilla wafers into.
CONNECT WITH PERSNICKETY PLATES!
Follow along on my social media so you never miss a post!
Also, sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Or maybe you’ll like…
Need more ideas? Here are 112 Birthday Cake Ideas for Boys