Chocolate Frosted Valentine Cookies start with a simple chocolate roll-out cookie base, frosted and sprinkled for Valentine’s Day!
Are you ready for Valentine’s Day? Do you celebrate? We really don’t, but I love an excuse to buy themed baking supplies. The holiday aisle at Target gets me every time and I picked up this hot pink frosting and heart sprinkles.
CHOCOLATE FROSTED VALENTINE COOKIES
Julia loved helping with these. We recently introduced her to Playdoh so she’s all about rolling out dough and using cookie cutters. Tonight, while she was taking a bath, I realized she was reciting “Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See?” all by herself. I’m so loving this age (she’ll be 2 next month). I think she gets smarter by the hour and it just blows me away.
To frost these cookies, I used canned frosting, like I mentioned. To make it easily spreadable, I put a couple tablespoons onto a paper plate and microwaved it for about 10 seconds – just enough to get runny. It makes it really easy to dip the cookies into then you just let the excess drip off. It makes for a smooth, even coating with a shiny finish.
Chocolate Frosted Valentine Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup milk I used 2%
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pink frosting
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl), add the softened butter and sugar and beat on medium until light and fluffy.
- Add in the milk, vanilla, and egg and blend well.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to blend well.
- CHILL FOR APPROX. 1 HOUR so it's easier to work with.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Flour your clean surface (I like to use a large cutting board) and roll out 1/3 of your dough to about 1/8 thick.
- Flour your cookie cutters and cut out the hearts then place them on the prepared baking sheets, about 1" apart. I made various sizes and cut out the centers of some of the cookies. Repeat until out of dough.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until just set.
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Once completely cool, frost and sprinkle.
This made about 3 dozen cookies for me - it'll depend on which size cookie cutters you use.
Recipe from an old Pillsbury cookbook